HELP NEEDED - Fuel Injection Cleaning Using Fuel Injection Cleaning Tool | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP NEEDED - Fuel Injection Cleaning Using Fuel Injection Cleaning Tool

cberrya6e

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Base 2WD
Hello! 1st time poster here and reaching out for some assistance on a 2013 Ford Explorer Base V6. My brother passed away a month ago and I am trying to help my sister-in-law and nieces by getting their Explorer safer for the road (my brother let this get away from him). My niece is 16 and the plan is for her to get this Explorer but it has needed a lot of work. Through this forum I have learned so much and have enjoyed coming up to speed on tools like FORscan which do not exist at anywhere near the same price point for the GM vehicles I drive! With help from here, I replaced the ABS controller and pump assembly as parts are not available through standard channels and have cleared all the ABS and brake related lights and codes and am still working on a few other things like rear view camera and TPMS issues.

I decided to try out one of these pressurized fuel ignition cleaning kits as this Explorer probably needs it. I am absolutely flummoxed as to how to disable the fuel pump from spewing gas all over the engine when I run the engine with the kit hooked into the fuel rail. Removing either the fuel pump relay or fuse kills the start sequence and engine will not run (makes sense). Logic dictates one of two solutions: 1) connect fuel line to the return line (which I am having trouble locating) and plug the return on the engine side, or 2) trick the system in some fashion to kill the pump but not the engine ignition sequence. What am I missing and what can I do to enable this kit to be used safely? I would really appreciate any help at all. Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Unfortunately, I have no experience with what you attempting to do but perhaps others may. How many miles are on the vehicle?

Peter

I am a little smarter today, again thanks to the internet. Explorers have been return-less for a number of years prior to the 2013 model year. Using a blind plug attachment and appropriate fittings, the gas line is blocked and the cleaning tank is attached to the fuel rail. Car runs off the cleaning kit and there are no issues. Was very pleased with the result.

Back