• Register Today It's free!

Help O/D light flashing

chillione69

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond hill Ont.
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT
OK here's the scoop. Bought a 98 explorer 4ltr sohc xlt loaded with all the toys. The O/D light comes on intermintinly. From what I can tell only when it rains. Took it to a mechanic and he said I need a new transmission. The tranny works and shifts fine. Can the experts on the forum help? Is there maybe a connection on the tranny that needs to be cleaned. The O/D turns on and off regardless of the light coming on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The OD light flashing mean there is a trouble code and the transmission is in limp mode. Long term will do more damage to the transmission, so needs attention. Did mechanic say what the codes was? I think you need to get the code and post results here, there are many knowledgeable and helpful folks way above and beyond my skills. Oh and I am betting you need to get a new mechanic.

Welcome to this forum! Transmission shops always say that you need a new transmission. A lot of things can trigger the overdrive light to flash (even a band that needs an adjustment). You have a 5R55E transmission, which means that you have electronic solenoids, and sensors on your transmission. If there is some sort of malfunction, it will throw a code.

After spending an hour on this site I have found some interesting info. Glacier has got to be the best source of info on this site. Also he wrote on one of his Q and A posts that it could be the EPC solinoid. There is also about 30 Ford TSB's on the tranny's.
I'm just going to take it to Ford and have them check it out and maybe replace the EPC and install a shift kit since that is what on of the TSB's recommends. I'll let ya'll know when it's done. the outcome.

Before the dealer rips apart the transmission, ask them for a printout of the code the overdrive light is showing. This will tell you if the dealer is seeing green dollar signs, or is only fixing the actual problem.

Out of curiosity as a fellow Toronto area resident, where/when did you buy the truck?

I bought it in August from some lady that I found on Craigslist. She said that someone stole her front brakes, fuses and relays. Lady had no clue. The truck hadn't moved for 18 months and she owned a dog so the truck smells quite bad, but it is loaded only has 158kms and I snagged it for $1500. After doing the brakes,muffler,front windshield
and detail I'm into for $2300 total. I was getting ready to sell it when the O/D light started flashing. Now I'm not a dealer but when you find a deal like this how can you say no to the money these babies are getting. If I don't sell I'll just keep the truck. I really like it but monies tight with the new addition to the clan.

as said start by pulling the code

Now here is my problem. It doesn't always flash. It can go days without flashing. Will the code still be there even though it's not flashing anymore.

yes
you should NOT be driving it with a flashing OD light, transmission is in limp mode = damage as you drive
Since it is intermittant it could be something really simple, like a wire.
The code will tell you/us where to look

Sounds good to me. Like I siad before it's going to Ford in the next couple of days. I'll you guys know the results. Hopefully the info will others in this forum.

You can read the code(s) yourself for far cheaper then a service call to ford, even if its just the standard $90 to put it in teh shop charge.

Autozone will often be able to read the code for free
A cheap code reader runs about $35

Which dealer do you go to?

Not all cheap scanners (Autozones) will pull the tranny codes. Spend the 50 bucks (that is what my local dealer charged me) to pull codes, and post results and go from there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all here is the update to my O/D light saga. I took the truck to Summit Ford in Richmond Hill(Big mistake) They charged me 170 bones to read the codes, do a road test and drop the tranny cover to make an inspection. The error code was a bad Torque Converter Solinoid. Price 190 bones, plus original
170, 40 for a tranny filter, plus labour adds up tp 590 bones before tax. Now the question is are there any TSB's for the TCS and does this sound like a reasonable charge. There were 2 more error codes present but the service guy seems to think they are caused by the first. No gurantee that changing the TSC will clear them but pretty sure it will. I await any opinions. Thanks

Back