HELP! Paint Overspray on 2 month old Explorer! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! Paint Overspray on 2 month old Explorer!

greenex1

Reaction score
City, State
Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
I am sick. I washed my Metallic Green Ex a week ago and noticed paint specks all over it. The paint specks are so fine that it looks like dust, and it is ALL OVER. I guess that is why I didn't notice it until I washed the Ex. Two days ago, I washed it again and used Mequiare's Smooth Surface Clay Kit. I worked on it for hours. A lot of the specks came off, but there is still quite a bit still on it. And as I was claying it, I noticed every little scratch and imperfection in the paint. Has anyone else had to deal with this? What is the best clay or other product for this project? And for when I finish, what is the best wax for repelling dust and other contaminants? I live in a small town in Southwest Louisiana so when it's not raining and muddy, it's dry and dusty. I love the dark green paint and have gotten a lot of compliments on how good it looks, but it is impossible to keep clean. I don't own a polisher, everything is by hand. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, first: Do you have any idea where the paint came from? I ask for 2 reasons. First of all, if you know where it came from, then maybe that will tell you what kind of paint it is, which may be helpful in deciding what to use to remove it.

The second reason I ask, is that maybe you can hold someone responsible for the damage they caused; assuming you can prove where it came from (and that it wasn't your own fault.) For example, if your neighbors were painting (or had a professional doing it) their house, especially with power spraying equipment, then it would be their responsibility to pay for proper professional repair of the damage, even if that means a full repaint. Don't worry, their homeowner's insurance would cover it, under their personal liability coverage. If it was caused by a professional or business, then they would/should also have their own liability coverage that apply.

Unless you are sure that you caused the damage, or are sure you could never figure out who did do it, then I would hold off on any more attempts at "self-help" for now. If you have someone else to hold accountable, they may be able to "wiggle" out of it if you end up causing more damage or make things worse by attempting to fix it yourself.

As for general tips on keeping the paint clean and shiny, just be sure to use quality products, such as Mothers or Meguiers, and keep it clean and waxed. Do some searching on here, as well as Google/general internet. There is a ton of tips and how-to's on car-care/wash and wax methods/products. Unless you have experience, its probably best to stick with doing it by hand anyway. Cheap, crappy machines don't really help much, and more powerful pro level buffers and polishers have enough power to very quickly burn right through the paint and cause permanent damage if your not very careful with them.

I am sick. I washed my Metallic Green Ex a week ago and noticed paint specks all over it. The paint specks are so fine that it looks like dust, and it is ALL OVER. I guess that is why I didn't notice it until I washed the Ex. Two days ago, I washed it again and used Mequiare's Smooth Surface Clay Kit. I worked on it for hours. A lot of the specks came off, but there is still quite a bit still on it. And as I was claying it, I noticed every little scratch and imperfection in the paint. Has anyone else had to deal with this? What is the best clay or other product for this project? And for when I finish, what is the best wax for repelling dust and other contaminants? I live in a small town in Southwest Louisiana so when it's not raining and muddy, it's dry and dusty. I love the dark green paint and have gotten a lot of compliments on how good it looks, but it is impossible to keep clean. I don't own a polisher, everything is by hand. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the Forum :wavey:. Sorry to hear about your problem. Are the paint specs the same colour as your vehicle?
If no one was spray painting in the proximity of your Ex, perhaps it came that way from the dealer of factory. If it was my vehicle and I knew that no one has done any painting near it, I would have taken it right back to the dealer to have them look at it. You didn't pass any road crews using paint on the road did you? As for trying to keep it clean, that is one of the main reasons I went with the white tri-coat. Light colours don't tend to show the dust/dirt as much. The silver also is good for that.
Good luck.

Peter

It sounds like you will need a firmer clay bar followed by a light buff / polish to get it right. If you just got the car recently, take it to your salesman and see if he can get it fixed so it can be done properly with no agony to you.

I wish I knew where it came from. About two weeks ago, I made several trips to a city near where I live. There is a lot of road construction, both interstate and city streets. And there were several buidings under construction/remodel. I went to several different stores for back to school so I was paying more attention to the traffic than the construction. I know the paint wasn't there when I brought it home from the dealership. I live in the middle of an acre of land and park under a carport, and I'm almost certain it didn't come from a neighbor's house. So most likely it is commercial or road paint. I thought about taking it to the dealership, but I wanted to see what I could accomplish at home. I'm being very careful and taking my time. I'm pretty sure the dealership would charge me a fortune and not go over every inch like I would want.

I wish I knew where it came from. About two weeks ago, I made several trips to a city near where I live. There is a lot of road construction, both interstate and city streets. And there were several buidings under construction/remodel. I went to several different stores for back to school so I was paying more attention to the traffic than the construction. I know the paint wasn't there when I brought it home from the dealership. I live in the middle of an acre of land and park under a carport, and I'm almost certain it didn't come from a neighbor's house. So most likely it is commercial or road paint. I thought about taking it to the dealership, but I wanted to see what I could accomplish at home. I'm being very careful and taking my time. I'm pretty sure the dealership would charge me a fortune and not go over every inch like I would want.

Well, if you can't get it off, there is always the option of making a claim on your insurance, under the "comprehensive" coverage. While your deductible is likely higher then what it would cost for a simple professional detail/paint polishing/etc...., if it was determined that a full repaint was needed, you certainly wouldn't want to pay for that out of pocket!

Oh, I see you've tried using a clay bar already. They make different strength clay bars, but as far as I'm aware you need to get them at a Detailer's supply. Then there's cutting compound, but I'd go to a professional to have that done as I'd be afraid of screwing it up.

I've had excellent results with getting rid of over spray using detailer's clay bar. You can get it at any auto parts store for about $20. Meguires or Mothers, either one works the same way. Fast and easy to use (just don't drop it on the ground. If you do, throw it away and go get another one). I had gotten over spray all over the top surfaces of a $10,000 custom paint job and the clay bar took it right off. Great stuff to use before waxing your vehicle too. Makes the paint feel like a brand new vehicle because it somehow pulls/cuts all the crud out of the surface. And don't worry you can't hurt your paint job (unless you drop the clay on the ground).

Clay bars are made for pulling up dirt / grit / etc... they probably won't remove things like paint since it is adhering to the car's clear coat. You're going to need to buff it off. You might want to talk to a detailing pro.

Had this happen when someone spray painted next to my truck at work...
Ended up getting it off with some rubbing compound and a cotten pad. Still have it on the glass though :(

Ended up getting it off with some rubbing compound and a cotten pad. Still have it on the glass though :(
Kids spray painted the hood on my old Mercury and I took it to a body shop like two days later and they used a liq solvent that pulled it right off ...... I just re-waxed the hood and I was good to go. :thumbsup:

Glass is easy. Clean the window(s), spray with window cleaner and leave it wet, use a NEW single-edged razor blade to get the paint off.

Clay bars are made for pulling up dirt / grit / etc... they probably won't remove things like paint since it is adhering to the car's clear coat. You're going to need to buff it off. You might want to talk to a detailing pro.

It depends on what kind of paint it was, and the proximity of the vehicle to the paint when it stuck.

This was a couple of years old that I pulled off my truck after I bought it, after PO painted a trailer near the vehicle.

DSCF4015.jpg

It is a more aggressive Meguiar's clay...

Back