Help.. : - ( Please... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help.. : - ( Please...

boscoe53

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4 5r55e
:(1998 V6 5R55E 4X4 New Valve body / Replaced override clutch?

The original complaint was no reverse and a big shift flare. I messed up the valve body replacement by braking off a locator pin on the selector gear thing that runs the kick down spool.. replaced that.. and had the tranny gone through..seals and what was reported as a burned override clutch.

I had the trans put back in my Explorer. Left it on the jacks, suspended in the air while I put fluid in it. Ran it on the jacks and it seems to be in 4wheel all the time.

Put it on the ground and rechecked the fluid level.. It backs up well but is spongey in forward... and.... wont go up a hill. when you stop half way up the hill it feels like the brakes are on and will not roll back one single bit...till you put it in neutral... no check engine light.. It seems a bit better in low lock 4x4 but it is NOT right.... . I did not install or repair this.. it was done by shade tree guys with a good reputation, as there are no transmission shops here in the third world.

Any Ideas?? Heck, it took another $60 dollars in fluid just to find out it won't work. I am soooo shot up here.

I am stuck here and have put a ton of money in this with no where else to go. Ihope this rings a bell with someone out there with an answer..

Thanks for looking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume so... I will ask to be sure. I cant immagine it wasn't... BUT.. I will ask

I had the Explorer towed to the Ford dealer here. Their trans tec is back from Medical leave. He said something about a code of 'improper gear ratio' or something like that. He said it was starting out in second gear.... ??

More to follow when I get it...

THANK YOU for your reply.

Boscoe, if the transmission is "out of range" that would typically point to the TRS sensor...Transmission range selector switch...it basically tells the tranny what gear it is in. When mine wasn't replaced correctly (it has to be aligned properly in the case) my transmission did all sorts of weird things.

Well... I just got back from the Ford Place. Their tec said there was a improper gear ratio code...but did not document it.. I will get the paperwork on Monday. I drove the Explorer home and it did not use 1st or 2nd at all. After I got going it shifted better..ie...it would downshift and crawl up the hill fairly well. then.. I got a check engine light. Ran the code I got from the OBD II and it was code 1716... something about a shift solenoid C inductive signature. Wow.. Anyway... I am going to install a different valve body when it gets here sometime the first of next week. If that wont fix it... heck.. I dont know what to do ... cept maybe just take the tranny down and and make sure all is correctly done. Humbug. I whish there was an AAMCO here... : - (

Any thoughts from anyone??

Thank You..

Back