Help - pulling to one side during braking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help - pulling to one side during braking

kdg99

Reaction score
City, State
Geneva, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
I have a 1999 Explorer. During braking, the truck pulls to the left significantly. I just replaced rear brakes - pads, rotors, and the caliper adapter on the passenger side. The caliper adapter is the thing that the caliper mounts to and is attached to the rear axle. It had to be replaced because one of the bolts that hold the caliper on was in crooked (from the factory? I've never removed them). It turned out that it was the hole that the bolt goes into that was at an angle and rethreading the hole made the bolt looser than I was comfortable with. This caused the caliper to be at enough of an angle to deeply gouge the rotor. The truck pulled to the left then because only a very small band of brake pad rubbed the rotor. Now with new rotors and pads, I still go left upon braking. The front rotors and pads are good and just over one year old. the truck goes straight with no hands on the wheel and no brake applied. Does anyone have any suggestions other than spending $67/hr to have the dealer look into this? I'm pretty sure that this is a new phenomenon.

Sounds like one of the passenger side calipers isn't engaging properly or possibly the rear isn't engaging at all. I would say pull all four wheels and inspect each brake, making sure the front pads are seated correctly, have enough lining on there and the wear is about even between the inside and outside pads. If the inner pad is worn a great deal more than the outer pad, you likely have a seized or stuck caliper. Check the work on the rears, especially the caliper adapters, and be sure the problem you mentioned that caused the pulling before hasn't come back.

Pulling during braking can also be caused by a tire with low pressure, or there might be a problem with one of the brake lines/hoses, but the calipers are a likely culprit.

Back