Help! Rear Liftgate Glass and lock | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Rear Liftgate Glass and lock

WorkInProcess

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98&00 EXPLR, 99&01 RNGR
Okay, so I am trying to fix the rear liftgate on a 200(0)? Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition.

Help! How do I open the rear glass on an explorer?

So the liftgate wont open. I think there is something wrong with the lock or the rods. After pressing unlock, trying to unlock in with the keys, and pulling on the lever for over an hour, it came loose and opened. My mom has another ford explorer and her explorer hinges just need to be lubed and played with for a bit. So I tried doing that with this. So I closed the hinges, then tried to open them with the lever, to find out the lever doesn't work. It feels light like if it isn't connecting to anything. And when I open it, I can see a yellow plastic piece that looks like it broke off.

So I have changed the tailgate latch on my Ranger when it broke and was going to do it to this one too. But it turns out I need to remove the plastic trim, which requires you to open the rear glass. There is supposed to be a button, or pull lever or something by the license plate and I can not find a thing! I'm not sure if I'm looking in the wrong place or just blind. But all I see are license plate lights, lever, lights, oh and bolts. No button, no lever, nothing.

I know this is probably going to be some simple stupid thing, but I looked and I don't see squat.

oh, and after playing with the levers, I shut them, then needed to open them again. Door wont shut with them closed, So I played with it for a bit again, and out of nowhere, I heard them open. Just like that. Tried again and nothing. I check them out, and one of them is open, and the other one is half open.

Then, I accidentally closed the door, and now one of the latches is engaged so the door wont close or open. Just stuck with a bit open.
dsc00694xp.jpg

dsc00700d.jpg

How it looked before I partially closed it.
dsc00698tt.jpg

dsc00698tt.jpg

Where is the latch?
dsc00699ia.jpg

dsc00694xp.jpg

dsc00699ia.jpg

Well, fixed it. The other set of keys worked better to unlock it for some weird reason. So used other set of key thing to unlock it with the button. Once it was opened sprayed some more wd-40 on hinges and inside lock mechanism. Lock mechanism wasn't fully turning 90 degrees, only like 70. And now it works.

I would probably be SOL if the electronics didn't work. And I think the button thing is probably some sort of prank, because I seriously do not see a button there.

Back