Help - Sync 2 to Sync 3 question for Apps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help - Sync 2 to Sync 3 question for Apps

deflep09

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Hello everybody!

Looking for help on my Sync 3 upgrade. I have installed everything on my 2015 Ford Explorer Sport and all is well besides ONE thing. I cannot get my apps to update. I want to use my apps on normal mode applink (not carplay) although everything works perfect on car play.

Basically I am trying to use waze via the apps option. Phone is plugged in and the app is up. Once I execute from the apps menu on the 8" touch screen my phone goes to a lock screen (normal) and the screen says waiting for device.

With doing some research it appears that my sync 3 applink need to update the my Mobil apps (in this case Waze) so I hit the update mobile apps in the "mobile apps settings" and it brings me to a updating screen. However NO matter what I do, it will never update. I have tried wifi/ cellular, different phones, new apple lighting cable and everything else I can think of to have this update happen. Until it does I CANNOT use the waze app or any other in the apps option with the exception of Iheart Radio and Accuweather which work find. ( I assume they don't need permissions) I have confirmed my phone cellular is on and approved for the Waze app. I'm stumped. I don't know if since this is a retrofit that this option doesn't work? I'm running build 18093

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Thank you!

Hello everybody!

Looking for help on my Sync 3 upgrade. I have installed everything on my 2015 Ford Explorer Sport and all is well besides ONE thing. I cannot get my apps to update. I want to use my apps on normal mode (not carplay) although everything works perfect on car play.

Basically I am trying to use waze via the apps option. Phone is plugged in and the app is up. Once I execute from the apps menu on the 8" touch screen my phone goes to a lock screen (normal) and the screen says waiting for device.

With doing some research it appears that my sync 3 need to update the my Mobil apps (in this case Waze) so I hit the update mobile apps in the "mobile apps settings" and it brings me to a updating screen. However NO matter what I do, it will never update. I have tried wifi/ cellular, different phones, new apple lighting cable and everything else I can think of to have this update happen. Until it does I CANNOT use the waze app or any other in the apps option with the exception of Iheart Radio and Accuweather which work find. ( I assume they don't need permissions) I have confirmed my phone cellular is on and approved for the Waze app. I'm stumped. I don't know if since this is a retrofit that this option doesn't work? I'm running build 18093

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Thank you!

Waze takes a while to show up on the screen, keep using it and it should eventually appear. I've found that AppLink is not very reliable and Waze under CarPlay is much better.

After Waze deployed their update for AppLink, it took over a week to actually show up on my Sync 3 screen.

just to clarify, Waze shows up as one of my apps on the Sync 3 screen. It wont run as my phone is locked (per waze safety feature) and the pop-up on the screen says "waiting for device" It will just sit there and do nothing. I need to update the app in my setting menu. I select that and it always fails (30 times and counting)

Back