Help! Truck wont start after replacing battery | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Truck wont start after replacing battery

bayouguy327

Reaction score
City, State
monroe, la
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 xlt 4x4
So the battery on my 04 Ex 4.0 v6 died. It has been sitting unused for about a week and I already knew it needed a new battery. I go and purchase a new one, put the battery in, turn the key and the engine turns over but wont start. I could smell gas so figured it was flooded. Let is sit for a while and after trying this a few times I noticed the wrench light on my IP lit up which is the limp home mode I'm guessing. Truck tries to start and sputters and almost starts but will not start. I've tried unhooking the battery and letting it sit for 2 hours(actually did overnight) to no avail. Any one have any ideas? Needing to get this running for work reasons. Help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So your Explorer was running a week ago when you parked it? You are right; it is in limp mode. I don't suppose you have access to a scanner...it may be throwing a code. If the battery was disconnected for a long time it may have cleared the computer and the truck is "dumb" until it resets. Hook the battery back up and let it sit for a while. Perhaps someone else can chime in too on some other stuff but disconnecting a battery for a long period of time can cause some funny stuff. If you weren't having problems before it was parked then I'd try hooking the battery back up and let it sit to let the computer do its thing. That's what I'd do...whether or not I am right haha. I'd be interested to know if you were having any problems before the dead battery.

I was having no problems before the dead battery. And when I got the new battery it wasn't unhooked but for 20 minutes or so. Have replaced the battery 1 time before and didn't have this problem at all. I do not have a scanner for codes so may have to get one to see if it is throwing a code. Will see what happens today and like you said Chief, maybe sone one else will chime in and have some more insight.

If it ran fine before changing the battery, I'm thinking it has gone into "theft" mode or something. I've heard before about people changing the battery after it goes completely dead and then that happens. Do a search because there is a thread about it somewhere.

Edit: Sound like the issue you are having?-
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280094

I do not have a scanner for codes so may have to get one to see if it is throwing a code..

Parts stores will check CEL codes for "free" with the scanners they have, unless you just want to get one for yourself anyhow.

A guy I work with has one so I'm going to hook it up when I get home. Wouldn't be able to drive it to the autoparts store anywho. Sitting in garage haha

Ok so I got the truck running! But now a new problem error code p0193 fuel rail pressure sensor. Running rough as rocks in a dryer. Any ideas on this? I will replace it if need be, doesn't seem/look too difficult. Has anyone done this?

I just had the same issue with my 2008 Explorer Sport Trac; replaced the battery but didn't install the new one for several hours. Result: car started but would not idle or run. Even with my foot on the pedal, it idled low and would not accelerate. Foot off the gas and it died. I let it sit overnight with the new battery installed, and the next day it started.
I then followed the owners manual guide that allows the computer to relearn its idle trim: run the vehicle until the temp gets to normal, then let it idle for a few minutes. Then took it for a drive and it was fine.

Back