• Register Today It's free!

*Help* Upper Rear Ball Joint

dpost01

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLS 4x4/AWD. For the second time in 3 years, I had to replace the rear bearings and hubs. So I took everything apart and took the knuckle and new parts to the machine shop. Since my rear end was apart, I decided to do a little maintanence and replace some other items as well.

I notice that my rear upper ball joints were easy to move around and the rubber boots were torn, so I decided to replace them. At first I had trouble find the ball joint but then I was able to order them from O'Reilly, a Moog(sp?) ball joint. I borrowed a ball joint press and went to town. I had no problem removing the old ball joints (thanks to a 4 ft long cheater bar) and no problem putting in the new ball joint. I put everything back together and gave myself a big high five for finishing.

I go to move my truck and hear a god aweful grinding noise and feel it all over. I had the wife move the truck and then I notice some metal shaving falling from my rear tire. I took a look an noticed that the rear ball joint was rubbing the instead of my rim (I have the standard 16 inch rim, completely stock).

When I took everything back apart, everything was installed correctly. The problem was, the old ball joint was pretty much flush with the top of the upper control arm; the new ball joint I got stood about 1/4 in above the control arm plus a grease fitting in the center of the joint. This hight difference was enough to cause some major problems.

So I went back to O'Reilly and they said that was the ball joint for my truck. I said a few words under my breath and came home. I tried to put the old joints back in so I could at least drive my truck but now the old ones wont press into the opening; the old ball joing drops in the hole completely and you can push it right back out. So I took the new ball joints and tried to grind down the top to make it work. When I got finished and tried to reinstall the new ball joints back into the control arm, they would no longer fit just like the old ones (You can imagine the words that came out of my mouth and the tools I threw)

So be warned, I do not recommend ever trying to replace just the rear upper ball joints.

I have just ordered new upper control arms and ball joint assemblies. Does anyone have experience replacing these. It doesnt look hard but it does look like a pain to get too. Anyone have any tips that would make it easier?

Thanks for your time.

Sound's like a bugger of a time mate. Appreciate the write up, I'll have to keep this in mind for the future!! Hope the control arm installation goes smoothly for you.

Back