• Register Today It's free!

help w/amp install

pacificblue

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
i have a 2003 XLT and i need help on installing a 4 channel amp. first, i have the 6CD indash player and a sub in the rear. second, i don't want to change out my stock indash player and speakers, probably later. questions:

1) how to install amp
2) where to install amp
3 should I use a 12g wire from amp to speakers
4) Thanks for your help

PB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Installing the amp and keeping with all of your stock equipment may not be as easy as it sounds. I guess first and fore most you need to determine whether or not the amp will be compatible with your stock speakers. Stock speakers usualy do not have the power handling as after market speakers. Secondly the head unit that is currently in your vehicle may or may not have RCA outputs. These outputs would be the prefered method of sending the input signal to your amp. Due to the ease of installation, and the amount of wire that has to be run to the amplifier. If you don't have RCA out's on the back of the head unit you will have to run individual channel signals to the amp inputs. Next you need to decide how you want your system setup (which speakers to amplify), 4 channel (LF,RF,LR,RR), 3 channel (LF,RF, sub bridged, rear channels on factory head unit.), two channel (LF,RF bridged). As you can see there are many options for amp hook up. Mounting your amp has probably has many options if not more. This is more of a personal preference. Do you want it where people can see it? Do you want it hidden? What ever you do give it some air for cooling they get really hot and will go into thermal protection. It shouldn't be nessasary to run 12 gauge wire. You can do just fine with 16 gauge and up. This again will depend upon how many watts you want to send to the speakers.
If I may suggest. Get everything that you need to make your system complete, and do it one shot. You really don't want to be pulling stuff apart over and over again. If you don't feel comfortable with what you are doing, please please have it done professionally. They will warranty the work that they do, and you won't have to worry about cooking your dash or anything else(speaking from experience).
With allot time I could walk you through it. Try going to this site and see what kind of info you can dig up. Home | Rockford Fosgate ®.
They have some pretty good explainations there. It should give you a good Idea of what you are dealing with and either inspire you to go to work or go to the install shop.
Hope this helps
Jeff:bounce:

I agree with the doing everything in one shot. I added a head unit and two amps and a 10 disk CD changer originally i was using my factory head unit. Each piece i installed seperately and if i had to do it over again i would have just waited and done it all at once. When you keep pulling things apart thats when clips break and its a pain in the ass.

Don't use the HI-Level inputs on your amp, go out and buy a line out converter, which converts your front and rear speaker signals in to Low-Level signals. Depending on the brand you might need to pick up two.

A line out converter will work fine, just be sure to gound it to the chassi, do not use the same ground as the stereo. Your potential to get engine noise through the converter goes way up if you do. I found another site that may help.
http://ccs.exl.info/frame_installation.html

well, i received my amp today, it's a Massive Audio RS40.4 40x4. I will connect the wires with a line out converter. is this all i need? i'll have to go to an audio store and ask for it, cause i don't know what this converter looks like. i hope my stereo will sound right. thanks for your replies!

no sweat PB I'll stay subscribed to this thresd just in case you have any questions later.:D

You can buy a line-out converter for $12.95 at WalMart. I did.

Back