Help!! Which one?? 235/75-r15 or 31-10.50-r15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help!! Which one?? 235/75-r15 or 31-10.50-r15

tuggey

Reaction score
City, State
inverness, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 sport
I have 235/75/r15 on my explorer right now but my driver side rear tire just got a nail in it and a plug isnt working... now instead of buying a new tire, i looked on craigslist and found a guy right by me selling 31-10.50-r15 General Grabber street tires with about 3/4th or more tread left for $50 for all 4.... Ofcourse all tires will be thoroughly looked over to make sure in good condition.... should i get them?? will they even make a difference on my explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 235/75/r15 on my explorer right now but my driver side rear tire just got a nail in it and a plug isnt working... now instead of buying a new tire, i looked on craigslist and found a guy right by me selling 31-10.50-r15 General Grabber street tires with about 3/4th or more tread left for $50 for all 4.... Ofcourse all tires will be thoroughly looked over to make sure in good condition.... should i get them?? will they even make a difference on my explorer?

?????????????????

31s are about 2 inches taller then a 235/75/15, So your speedo will be off a little, and if your at stock height they may rub somewhere (not sure, just depends i guess)

31s are about 2 inches taller then a 235/75/15, So your speedo will be off a little, and if your at stock height they may rub somewhere (not sure, just depends i guess)

ok, who would i take it to to fix the speedo? get it calibrated? just any mechanic?

anyone else got some input on this?

For $50 sounds like a deal. You should be able to fit them without any problem. Just to be on the safe side just measure from the center of the front wheel to the fender. You should need 15 inches to fit these tires. 31 inch tire is usually only about 30 inches .

For $50 sounds like a deal. You should be able to fit them without any problem. Just to be on the safe side just measure from the center of the front wheel to the fender. You should need 15 inches to fit these tires. 31 inch tire is usually only about 30 inches .

k..... anyone got some knowledge on the general tire brand?
good tire? ok tire? bad tire?

General is an o.k. tire brand. Use the search feature and see what others have to say. I've allways used Goodrich but have Coopers now cause of price but am very happy with them. You could go on consumer reports or any tire site for reviews.:cool:

General Tire brand is not an ok brand. General Tire makes a great tire for a good price. I would run Generals over Good Years, Bridgestones, Dunlops, or any of the rest. The 31x10.50 will be a tight fit on an explorer sitting at stock height. Personally, I would recommend a 2 to 3 inch lift and then you could run them without worrying about any rub. If those tires on craigslist dont work out I would recommend checking out the GT Radial Adventuro Mud Terrains. I have run them on a toyota pickup and I plan on running them on my exploder. At 10k miles I could barely even tell a difference from when they were knew. They are a good agressive tire, that last for forever, with minimal street "hummm". Just thought I would put my two cents worth in since I have run them and will continue to. :D

redefine o.k.

I meant o.k. as good

Sorry if I sounded a little defensive olskoolreddevil. Im used to people using OK as more of a negative than a positive thing. For the money General tires are a good brand but then again so are the Coopers you are fond of. I have run both and they both are good tires. :thumbsup:

I am kinda bassackwards

I'm a little stingy with praise sometimes o.k. is a pretty good rating from me. I agree there's alot to be said about some of the lesser famous brands. I have run Generals in the past with no regrets. I pretty much run a tire that I can afford with the exception that they are not from China or Korea.:D

Aint nothing wrong with supporting the good ole USA :usa: :thumbsup:. I do every time I get a chance to.

That pretty much debatable when it comes to brands honestly.. You'd be suprised who makes the tires nowadays and where. Michelin owns BFG or rather Goodrich now along with Uniroyal. I think alot of the overseas brand tires get a bad rap but I've noticed that the Pirellis I had were from Brazil. Even the Kumho's have gained a better reputation after releasing higher quality tires, there are still brands with origins from China, US, Mexico, etc which have had tread seperation issues like Goodyear had years ago. I think it comes down to quality control. I just recently got Goodyears for my daily driver and I can say they are crappy compared to the Pirelli's I had prior but since I didn't have the funds for the Pirelli's I got what I could afford till later on. When selecting a tire make sure you read the reviews on sites like Tirerack, 4wdparts.com, etc.

daddy's truck go's vroom!

Here is a dumb question would this tire 31-10.50×15 fit all 15 inch rims? I just seen a tire chart for sport trac 01-06 and it seems to be of clearance of the fenders.

Back