HELP! Why won't truck go into gear? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! Why won't truck go into gear?

bigblockbob

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 limited
Hi There. I have a 1996 Ford Exporer Ltd and I really hope there is someone out there who can help me. I was driving to work one day and the truck came out of gear on the highway. After coasting off of the highway I shut the truck off, waited 5 minutes then she started up and drove. After I got to work, the truck sliped out of gear. Now it won't go into any gear and grinds when I put her into Park! I can start the truck in Park and Neutral but still won't go into gear and then grinds when I put it into Park. Could anyone tell me whats going on? I would really like to find out since my knowledge of trucks is limited. Thanks.:exp:

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread to the transmission section. Did you check the fluid level? Grinding noise usually comes from a transfer case. Do you have a 4WD? You don't have this listed in your profile.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread to the transmission section. Did you check the fluid level? Grinding noise usually comes from a transfer case. Do you have a 4WD? You don't have this listed in your profile.
HI BrooklynBay! Yes it is a 4x4 4.0 litre and the fluid was a little low. But I had topped it up and maybe just a little too much, and this was done when the truck had warmed up. I don't know but does the transfer case take any fluids? It doesn't engage in gear and sounds like gears grinding when put in park. I used a manual and did a shift cable adjustmant but this didn't resove the problem. Got any ideas???

Back