Help with Overhead dvd. RSE rear seat entertainment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with Overhead dvd. RSE rear seat entertainment

racinjason68

Reaction score
City, State
94 Limited
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91XLT '92EB4x '96V8 2wd
So I have a limited explorer with sunroof, and I bought a Rear DVD (RSE) and looking to wire it up... Problem is not sure the harness is there. I have the 6 disc indash and wondering where to get wiring harness.

I tried wiring it up but I have 2 wires the Corp proto A and B and not sure what to do with them or how to bypass them.

I power the unit up and it spins up and then shuts off, was told they needed to be tied into the vehicles Data bus or CAN bus.

So what can I do to get the rear dvd player to work??????

Anyone have any ideas? I have done several hours of searching and says it has to be hooked up. I am wondering if I can put a resistor or something between the two wires or hook them up to something and make it work. Or is the only way it will work is with the factory harness???

Help and input is needed. Thanks guys, Jason

With your '03 you should have a similar radio to what i have . . .mine came with RSE. In back of the radio there should be a 20-pin plug FULL of wires, thats for the RSE. It connects to a 'big' green plug w/16pins on the 'C' pillar near the top above the seat belt loop, this plugs into the RSE harness. I added an Audiophile unit and had add the 8pin plug and run my own wires in parallel to the existing wires for the sub and it worked.

Some post with pics that might help you. To give you an idea search on PIE FRD04-DVD Ford CAN-BUS RSE DVD Retain Adapter with after market radios.

Depending on much of the wiring is there; i would think the radio would work but not 100% but i did take a radio out of a non-RSE and it worked but its last 2 letters where 'CF' where A-Base, B-Premium, C-Audiophile; but that third letter i'm not sure what it means but it might be significant. Another guy tried the same thing but found aftermarket easier. . .just a thought.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204211
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246610 Post #15 above the blue connector should be a Green connector, which is for the DVD.

Well I am using the stock 6 disc. but not sure if I look if there is a harness to run to a RSE. I have factory sub and a aux button and was reading that if you have the aux that you could hook it up.

Guess not sure if there is a harness from above the c pillar that would run to a RSE. I did get a pig tail to plug into the RSE and was just going to power up the unit and not run thru the head unit, kids can use the headphones. but when I power up the unit it just spins up and shuts off when I bench test. If I knew where to hook up the Corp A and B wires I was told it should work.

Read that it must recieve the info from the 2 wires to stay on.

Back