Help with this part identification | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with this part identification

5.0limited

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer 2000 ranger
Callsign
Mad mitch
there's a sensor of some sort (id like to know what it is) directly to the right of the thermostat housing on the motor I have a 5.0 the plug that connects to it has bad wires. the rubber around them has deteriorated and the wire is exposed I've wrapped it up with some tape but I need to get a connector but I can't seem to locate the part I've tried typing the number that's on the plug but it just sends me down the rabbit hole any help is greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a pic would really help to determine what you're looking at.

Sounds like the ECT sensor.

Alright after going down and looking at every connector on rockauto I found it. it was the cam position sensor. man if those wires would have touched I can only imagine I would have been stuck on the side of the road glad I saw that kinda crazy too the little connector is 35$ and the actual sensor itself is 40$ but it's all good now got a new one coming in the mail

$35 for a connector? Wow, I'd be stopping by the local junkyard the next time I passed by one, wrapping it in electrical tape till then or a blob of sensor-safe (non-acidic) silicone RTV sealant.

$35 for a connector? Wow, I'd be stopping by the local junkyard the next time I passed by one, wrapping it in electrical tape till then or a blob of sensor-safe (non-acidic) silicone RTV sealant.
I figured any that were in the junkyard would be just as bad or at least 16 years old my wires had some corrosion my gut told me if I just taped it or put some liquid electrical tape sometime in the future I'd be dealing with it again trust me 35 sucked but at least I'll have that peace of mind knowing its right sucks to was gonna get my duals on today but got wait till pay day now

I figured any that were in the junkyard would be just as bad or at least 16 years old my wires had some corrosion my gut told me if I just taped it or put some liquid electrical tape sometime in the future I'd be dealing with it again trust me 35 sucked but at least I'll have that peace of mind knowing its right sucks to was gonna get my duals on today but got wait till pay day now
You are replacing then the connector on the wiring harness, right? imp

Yes the wires were deteriorated all the way into the connector itself totally bogus others may want to inspect their connector as well I figure most of them are like this and it's going to be cheaper to replace that connector than have it short out the sensor and end up buying both plus the time it would take to troubleshoot that as a problem

If the sensor shorted out it might be able to overheat and damage the wires, but the wires themselves shorting wouldn't damage the sensor electrically, but I suppose if they started arcing the heat could melt the sensor body at the plug.

I'm doubtful that most people have wires in that condition, don't recall anyone else finding them that way.

If the sensor shorted out it might be able to overhead and damage the wires, but the wires themselves shorting wouldn't damage the sensor electrically, but I suppose if they started arcing the heat could melt the sensor body at the plug.

I'm doubtful that most people have wires in that condition, don't recall anyone else finding them that way.
Well if the wires have no insulation and they touch or arch on any sensor maby it's just me but I think that it would damage the sensor or something bad is going to happen. Went to junkyard today to score a window motor found a wrecked X5.0 the camshaft sensor wires were very brittle if they had been good I would have sent back the new one. Seems like there's a lot of heat around that spot. Check it or dont it's up to you.

Yes something bad could happen if the circuit isn't current limited, then it could blow a fuse or with some bizarre series of events might be able to start a fire.

What about the contacts? In a picture I saw it looked like the plug end has a piece that might pull out, releasing the contacts,then they are easier to clean and put new wires in. If those wires are prone to get brittle from heat or leaks, you could use wire with silicone insulation.

Back