Hesitation When Accelerating/Slow Shifting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hesitation When Accelerating/Slow Shifting

shadowseven

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello. Sorry if this has been posted before; I couldn't find a thread easily. I have a 2002 Explorer XLT, and it has recently been having difficulty during shifting, usually when cold (or shortly after warming up). I'll shift into reverse, back out of a space, and put it into park. The vehicle will continue to drift backwards for five seconds or so seconds before engaging in drive.

Also, it has been hesitating in accelerating as well, sometimes when on an incline/decline at a stop (but not always). I'll press down on the accelerator and the engine will rev, but the vehicle will not go forward. It's like the transmission is having trouble engaging in drive. A dealership replaced the plugs for me (after discovering two cylinders were misfiring), but it is still having this problem. Tonight, I was idling on an incline, and the engine stalled during acceleration and the battery light came on. It has also been having a little difficulty starting in cold weather. The engine will turn over easily enough, but take five or ten seconds to start.

Any ideas? I'd like to not have to keep throwing away $400 each time I visit the repair shop and hope that what they fix will help.

Thanks!!

to me it sounds like you are in need of a transmission fill / flush. OR your fluid is very low

the hard starts might be a battery or fuel filter

wow...

I had the EXACT same problem after i got my trans filter and gasket replaced. They put too much fluid in it and then I took it back and they took too much out and then it started doing what you are describing. They filled it to the correct level and it fixed everything.

good luck.

Back