High Mileage 4.6 motors. How many miles do you currently have? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage 4.6 motors. How many miles do you currently have?

CJDZ24_Z28

Reaction score
City, State
Mays Landing NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 EXPLODER 4.6
Well I just picked up my 02 4.6 about a month ago and basically brought it back to 100% operating condition. Mine has 168k on it currently and It seems it could last the test of time. I have 4 other vehicles and won't be driving it everyday but for those that drive theirs and have put on the mileage,how many miles do you have? Anyone in the 200k range??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I'm in Canada and put my '03 V8 through quite a bit. It has 340,000 kms which is around 212,000 miles. Other than having to put in a heli-coil and the usual modular V8 tick, the engine feels great.

the v8 motors do last...my ex isnt a v8 but my other car is and the v8 is the same as the explorer...05 crown victoria 190k...had old town cars that had the v8 last past 370k...

The 4.6L engines are very reliable. There are plenty of taxis and limos with 300k+ miles and still running strong. IMO, it is more durable than the 302 and I don't make that claim lightly. We had a V-8 '94 T'Bird years ago and it was totaled with 190k miles on it and the engine ran as good as the day it drove off the dealer's lot.

To bad the 4.6 will soon disappear. If not already. The ecoboost will eventually replace it. With the new ex, crown vic gone , and it wasn't to popular in the f series line up I don't see it sticking around.

Back