High Mileage SOHC's Explorers | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage SOHC's Explorers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2000 Limited with 243,XXXX, just had timing chain and guides one, and getting the guides done for the cam chains on thursday

2000 Limited with 243,XXXX, just had timing chain and guides one, and getting the guides done for the cam chains on thursday

If you don't mind me asking, what did that set you back? Did you use the Ford kit thru their parts dept? I have the TSB with the part numbers.

I've got 163,000 on my 1993 XLT, engine, trans and transfer case are still in great condition. the body has started taking a beating from rust though.

i paid $300 for all the parts from ford including the chains and all the guides including the jack shaft and the balance shaft. i had a mechanic get it all for me at his price. than i had it done for $500 labour so i paid $800 in total. it took the guy a good week to do it because he broke several tools in the process. Im just waiting on the guides for the chains that go to the cams, but ford cant find them anywhere, but they will find it eventually. its all worth it:)

172 6XX on my 2000 limited .. still running good. engine has lasted the body so far. rust just around the gas tank filler. need to fix that soon

98 XLT 68,500 miles

Engine runs smooth & strong.
Had to replace the front diff do to a bad bearing.
Blend door, radio display - all fixed.
Shocks all around last summer.
A few odd noises from the front end.
Needs front brakes.
Power mirrors don't work for some reason.

Over all it's a great truck!

Have a 1998 Eddie B with 163,000 on it. Bought it with only minor problems it ran great, used no oil, didnt smoke and drove great. Well over the course of a few months its basically given me one headache after another. Changed plugs, wires, both tensioners (total waste-mine were fine after 162k) , upper and lower intake gaskets, new serpentine belt and tensioner, DFPT sensor (another waste of money), of course had to add a new radio, of course no one knows how to get the power antennae to work with an aftermarket radio so I ripped it out and put a regular mast in. Good thing about the truck?? Some goofball sideswiped me with a Range Rover, and his insurance company gave me a check for $800 more than I paid for the truck. So its really ratty now dunno if I'll junk it or what. I may do the timing chain work since I haven't tore into a motor in a few years, and despite having 162k on it the motor might last another year so what the heck. Oh tranny works fine, as fine as a Ford tranny can work. I always HATED Ford trannys. They shift like mush, your always in the wrong gear, they never kickdown-this truck is no different. Know something else? The Blend door actually works!

97 2 door , 170K, and Its been a pile of crap since 20K. I wish I never bought it.

Should of got a jeep!!

97 2 door , 170K, and Its been a pile of crap since 20K. I wish I never bought it.

Should of got a jeep!!

I along with my 1993 Ford Explorer XLT, i have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 liter V8. Its a decent truck, but it blew the motor at 112,000 miles and i was royally ticked off about that... But i like both trucks and the Explorer sees more mud than the Jeep (Mainly because the Jeep is driven mostly by the Mrs...) but overall they're both great trucks

i had a 1994 with 250.000 and as far as i know its still going. ill talk to a friend i sold it too this summer to find out. my 2004 had 78000 before chain went but got a motor with 12000:D:D

193,000, bought it in 2000 with 30k on it. got a new 'beefed up' transmission around 100k. has the idle problem when cold and will be rebuilt next year (forged internals, cam, and the works =] )

125K on '98 SOHC. Currently doing Timing Chain though. :(

2000 xlt 4.0 SOHC, 115,000 on the clock. Bought this used 1,000 miles ago. Runs great. Gears shift smooth and quiet. Looking around underneath the hood, appears to be all original drivetrain. Very clean engine compartment and undercarraige, Southern California is good to cars. No timing chain noise, no fluid leaks, no smoke. Tranny fluid is bright red and clean.

Front suspension squeaks going over bumps, I think it's the sway bar bushings. Front drivers side door lock button dosn't like to unlock without some jiggling of the door handle, that's on my fix list. Drivers door speaker is apparently cracked, I'll swap that out when I do the door lock button. My previous vehicle was a Ford Crown Vic, it had a nice, smooth, quiet ride. The Explorer rides like a truck, bumpier, noisier, more sway, but not bad, I like it. I wish this thing got better gas mileage, the Crown Vic averaged about 20.5 mpg, Explorer is getting about 17 mpg so far, almost all city driving. But I like that I can get/look under it without having to jack it up, and I can load it with camping gear and take it on dirt roads with no problems.

Plans include synthetic oil in the engine and tranny, going to do the tranny fluid swap per the "how to" on this forum using two big buckets and the tranny cooler lines.
Well, here's to another 115,000 miles!:D
11100067653_260640357_IM1_MAIN_565x.jpg

200,x.. on my 98 sport & it was running strong when I hit a dump truck & ripped the right side off. Now I have a 99 eddie Bauer with105,x.. & she runs real strong.

I need a 4.0 sohc V6 for my 97 EB Can Anyone Help?

I just found out why I got this beautiful 97 Explorer so cheap ($800). I was told by the seller that the dr side tensioner and jackshaft chain & guides needed to be replaced. So after tearing it down and getting ready to install the updated parts we found out the main timing chain was shot also and several parts could be seen in the pan.:mad::roll::thumbdwn:
So now instead of trying to repair and find out he has crashed everything I am going to just replace it and still be coming out way ahead. Hopefully lol. So far I have found one from the junkyard for $800 but who knows what you will be getting into there.
If anyone can point me in the right direction to look into another engine I would sure appreciate it.:D

Has the chain guide rattle, but does good otherwise.

It's gonna make a difference for the guys with SOHC or OHV motors. SOHC will just last longer period. Smoother running and more efficient. Smoother is a huge help on the bearings. OHV is an old school push rod motor, not designed for 200kmi like the SOHC design.

NEVERMIND: I didn't open my eyballs enough to see the SOHC in the title. What a jackass i am. Whatever....lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

97 XLT SOHC. 165,000. Had an entire new front end put on at 98K. Drive it a a lot for hunting accross fields and through woods. Have replaced alternator, fuel pump (i think), air conditioning condensor (it rusted through since it had an insulator cover on it. Remove the cover if you have one!). All of these were covered under extended warrantee that paid for itself several times over.:biggthump!!! Been through a few belt changes along with the tow that comes with a broken surpentine. Since the warrantee was up, I have put about $500 per year in maintenance and repairs (paying others). Have started to do the work myself recently as things wear out and am now saving a ton of money and it drives better than ever. Flattened my muffler in South Dakota last fall and finally replaced it three weeks ago. Found a Walker OE style on Craigslist for $40, some clamps and cutting and presto, quieter than its been in years. Did a tune up last weekend (plugs, wires, overall check of emissions system, etc). Back end is sagging a bit, especially when I tow and the shocks are original. Ordered a Pro-comp add-a-leaf and a set (4) of Monroe Sensa-tracs that I plan to install over Memorial Day weekend. Should lift up the back about 1.5", stiffen up the rear suspension and greatly improve the overall ride. Found the shocks and AAL for about $150 total on Amazon which included shipping. (as you can tell, I love a deal) Monroe also has a rebate going at this time.

After getting that done, plan to work on the rust that is starting to creep in. I do have a noise that sounds like grinding at about 35 mph, that I cant figure out and a break light on the instrument pannel that wont turn off. Those just might be the mystery problems that I will live with for a while.

Overall have driven her for about 130K of the truck's life, and we have a lot of great memories together. Plan to take her to 200K.

Back