High Mileage SOHC's Explorers | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage SOHC's Explorers

204k on mine now. All original timing chain components and no signs of any rattling. The only engine related work outside of general maintenance was replacing the alternator at ~120k and upper/lower intake gaskets at ~160k.
WOW, I'd change the tensioners very soon!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WOW, I'd change the tensioners very soon!!
Not if it's never been rebuilt/had the guides done, there's stories of that causing failure of the timing guide components.

If it ain't broke... right?

My transmission also never had a fluid change as far as I know (had it since ~76k), and it still shifts perfectly, and doesn't leak or burn fluid. At this point, it would probably do more harm than good to replace the tensioners and do an ATF change/flush.

You may have a leak in the intake(gasket/Oring). that will give the same lean code and slight misfire. OR it could be a bad/weak coil unit.
I've replaced the upper & lower intake gasket as well as the O ring. I've checked for spark with a spark tester at the spark plugs. Something has been telling me to test the coil packs. I made a smoke tester & smoked it again since I had smoke from the upper & lower intake gasket & fixed that. Anyway, so now I have smoke from the IAC valve and from under the EGR. I checked vacuum pressure on the upper plenum at the brake booster port & it was steady at I think it was 25

Curious as to the mileage of the sohc's v6 Explorers here. I have 185,350 miles on a stock all original 1997 XLT and still running like a champ. Any other high milers out there?

I hit 320,000 miles on ym stock engine, but there wasn't too much 4x4mountain climbing involved...just tons of long highway miles.

Everything else was fine when stock engine went out, so I found another one at 100,000 miles...had my mechanic buddy put it in with a new radiator he had and he charged me a total of $1500.00 I know for a lot of the wizards here they could've done better...but I consider it great: this 2nd engine has almost 300,000 miles on it now.

Expect to get a ton of miles on the SOHC if you change oil and filter regularly. The only engine work I did was to replace the O-rings on the intake manifold when it started acting up when I started it.
Yeah...basic maintenance seems to be the way these days if you really want to stretch every penny

I've replaced the upper & lower intake gasket as well as the O ring. I've checked for spark with a spark tester at the spark plugs. Something has been telling me to test the coil packs. I made a smoke tester & smoked it again since I had smoke from the upper & lower intake gasket & fixed that. Anyway, so now I have smoke from the IAC valve and from under the EGR. I checked vacuum pressure on the upper plenum at the brake booster port & it was steady at I think it was 25
These are the EXACT areas I need to start checking on my EXPLORER if I want to keep it going

242,000 on my 99 explorer xlt 4.0 SOHC. Almost to the quarter million mile club! Bought the truck new :D

242,000 on my 99 explorer xlt 4.0 SOHC. Almost to the quarter million mile club! Bought the truck new :D
Congrats! That shows how well it was built, and how well it's been cared for!

Congrats! That shows how well it was built, and how well it's been cared for!
I've decided to sell my Explorer. it runs and drives, but no compression in No. 1 cylinder after the rebuild. Most likely bent a valve. No noises. Compression is 180-190 everywhere else. email me at : garykipfer@aol.com if interested. I would like $500 for it but we can deal. I'm restoring a 69 F250 - gotta stay FORD!

My 97 xlt SOHC is at 254,x.. and she idles quiet as a mouse no timing chain noise at all and burn maybe a half a quart every 5000 miles running Castrol edge high mileage with a wix xp filter transmission is getting tired but for the 5r55e I'm happy and its the original transmission

Awesome mileages going on here, glad to know. Got about 199,500 right now. Will be replacing plugs/wires soon.

140k had a slight cold start rattle, replaced tensioner 150 miles later, guide rattle at 2 rpm, 400 miles after that, total engine failure.

Order a FoMoCo remain long block, compl3te from damper to intake manifolds, water pump to exhaust manifolds 4 yr unlimited mileage warranty

I'm at 194K, TC isn't locking up, got to diagnose, engine is quiet though.

My 1998 Sport SOHC may be rattling slightly louder each day, but since I missed catching a picture of 123456 on the Odometer a week or two ago I think I'll stubbornly drag it along to 200000 miles with me :)

(It's an amazing car, everything works, it's just the darn timing chain laughing at me from in there...)

I've got 193xxx on my '96 XLT and the motor is smooth as silk. I've only had it a few months. Rebuilt tranny a couple of years ago according to the paperwork and it shifts nice. Interior is a bit beat up but she runs fine, except for a engine-speed-dependent squeak I'm starting to pick up.

Just picked up my sister in laws 2000 4.0 SOHC LIMITED w/ 178,x.. original miles. She got a new car so she gave it to me! Woo! Had it for a month or so now. Changed oil w/ Mobil1 and oil/air filter. Idles smooth and runs well. Original trans as far as I know. Hoping I can take it over 200k. Have an issue with radio display fading in and out...reflowed solder on power supply but still occurs. Also need to figure out why the reverse sensors beep as soon as I put it in reverse...maybe just need to be cleaned? I love these 95-01 Explorers.

I have a 2003 ford explorer with 350,123 miles on it and its still going strong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

267K 99 4.0 SOHC

Back