High pitched interior noise. Constant | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High pitched interior noise. Constant

I will let everyone know when they put the new inverter in. This is under warranty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi all - I just purchased a 2017 ford explorer sport with 401A and immediately noticed the high pitched noise while driving. Its very annoying and constant, and seems to come from the glove box area. I called my local dealer to make a service appointment. I'm really hoping to get this issue resolved. Does anyone have any more followup information on this, such as whether the noise was truly eliminated after this warranty repair? And what exactly is the warranty repair called? I want to make sure I'm referring to the right procedure when I arrive at the dealer. thanks

hi all - I just purchased a 2017 ford explorer sport with 401A and immediately noticed the high pitched noise while driving. Its very annoying and constant, and seems to come from the glove box area. I called my local dealer to make a service appointment. I'm really hoping to get this issue resolved. Does anyone have any more followup information on this, such as whether the noise was truly eliminated after this warranty repair? And what exactly is the warranty repair called? I want to make sure I'm referring to the right procedure when I arrive at the dealer. thanks
If your dealer does have the revised inverter have them remove fuse #56 in the engine bay fuse box. Took me a couple of minutes to pull our fuse until we get to the service dept

If your dealer does have the revised inverter have them remove fuse #56 in the engine bay fuse box. Took me a couple of minutes to pull our fuse until we get to the service dept
ok - so I'll ask them for a 'revised AC DC power inverter' replacement. Have you gotten this fixed and noise is gone?

also- where is the engine bay fuse box?

ok - so I'll ask them for a 'revised AC DC power inverter' replacement. Have you gotten this fixed and noise is gone?

We have not taken ours in yet. Since I pulled the fuse, my wife is not complaining anymore. When I take it in for an oil change I will address the issue.

Look in your owners manual on page 262 for the location of fuse #56 and page 275 for the fuse box location under your hood.

Welcome to the Forum Andrew.:wave:
I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer has to order the item since this seems to be an issue that has recently surfaced. I don't recall a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) being issued on it yet although I suspect there may be one in the future if more of these issues come up. Good luck.

Peter

I have the same issue on my new 2017 Explorer Sport as well and it was driving me nuts. Recently as of yesterday went to the dealership and had 5 or 6 people confirm they hear the noise. We jumped in 3 other non - sport models and didn't hear it but when we jumped in a sport bingo we heard it. They were filing a complaint or logging and issue with ford but i will bring this post down to them and let them know about the inverter.

excellent job finding this jimjomax from Florida!! I'll report back as well when i go to the dealer this week, but for now i'm pulling the fuse!

OK Guys I have good news about the high pitch noise. My dealer found out where it is coming from. It is coming from the 12 volt to 120 volt inverter that is up under the dash above the glove box. That is why I said I heard it there. He had to order that part for me as Ford has a revision for it and it will not be in until end of May. But the mechanic just took out the fuse for it and now I have my sanity back again. I seldom use those 120 volt outlets anyway.

Can you ask your dealership what the part # is? I went down to my dealer and they can't figure out what part to order as it lists 12 diff part numbers for the inverter when they put in my VIN # to see what # i currently have.

Thanks in advance!

Can you ask your dealership what the part # is? I went down to my dealer and they can't figure out what part to order as it lists 12 diff part numbers for the inverter when they put in my VIN # to see what # i currently have.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Big thanks guys! Probably my first thread started on this board and already the problem seems to be located and a temporary fix for the noise proven to work!!!

I wanted to add to this thread as it helped my wife and I figure out what the god awful sound was in our new 2017 Explorer Limited. Yes, that's right, same problem in a Limited trim, we don't have the sport trim. What we do have is the 2.3L Ecoboost in our Limited trim.

Our dealer continued to tell us that it was "normal operation of the vehicle". Even though the tech could hear the sound the dealer insisted it was "normal operation". Obviously I was not pleased so I set out to prove them wrong. Thanks to this thread, I was able to do just that.

I took the vehicle up to the dealership and showed them that by removing the fuse the sound went away. This led to them making a phone call to Ford and they came back to me saying the issue is in diagnosis stage but there are people at Ford "aware" of the issue. No certain part of fix has been figured out yet. They did however mention that a new ac/dc power inverter would be ordered and they would call me to let me know when it was in. They said it was "backordered" ???

Honestly, I don't think they have any idea what to do, they don't want to say it though. I told them I would be calling every few weeks and that if this goes on for too long I'll be getting Ford involved, not sure what else to do. Sure removing the fuse fixes the issue of the sound but it creates another issue, my kids can't use the plug in the back for our road trips, once of which comes at the end of this month as we do a 16 hour drive to South Dakota.

I'll make sure to update this thread with any new information I figure out. I'm pretty persistent, probably to the point that when they have me on the phone they want nothing more than to get off the phone.

Welcome to the Forum Yellowpez.:wave:
I'm not surprised that the item is backordered. It likely is not a high demand part so stock is probably low to non existent.
I'm happy to hear that the Forum was able to assist you with the issue.

Peter

2017 sport 500 miles
.. I can not hear it but wife can. My hearing is bad at high frequency.
Happens when engine running. Does not matter if hvac and radio is on or off. In gear or not. She said sounds electronic.
We will take to dealer but any tips will be welcomed. Thanks
We got the 2017 Sport a little over a month ago and I hear it as well all the time no matter what is on/off while the car is in engine mode. It comes from the front right passenger side of the car and can only be heard in my right ear. My husband can only hear it in certain positions. We took it to the dealer and only a young tech there was able to hear it. They got in another sport model and heard it as well. I was told there is nothing that can be done about it. Does Ford read these threads? Clearly their sound engineers did not do their job properly or they cannot hear high pitch frequencies any longer. Hope they figure out where it is coming from so we can all get this fixed.

We got the 2017 Sport a little over a month ago and I hear it as well all the time no matter what is on/off while the car is in engine mode. It comes from the front right passenger side of the car and can only be heard in my right ear. My husband can only hear it in certain positions. We took it to the dealer and only a young tech there was able to hear it. They got in another sport model and heard it as well. I was told there is nothing that can be done about it. Does Ford read these threads? Clearly their sound engineers did not do their job properly or they cannot hear high pitch frequencies any longer. Hope they figure out where it is coming from so we can all get this fixed.
I'm guessing that perhaps you didn't read through the thread or missed it. The answer you seek is in post #33. Good luck.

Peter

I just drove home in my new Explorer Platinum from dealership. Almost going nuts by the time I got home. Sound was unbearable. I am going to try unplugging the fuse.....or wait for my husband and hope that is it. Thank-you for this forum!!!!!!

I just drove home in my new Explorer Platinum from dealership. Almost going nuts by the time I got home. Sound was unbearable. I am going to try unplugging the fuse.....or wait for my husband and hope that is it. Thank-you for this forum!!!!!!
I guess at least your hearing is fine.;)

Peter

Going back over this thread there are actually only 3 members reporting having this issue and they all have a Sport. Have you tried to get another Sport to test drive to see if it has the same noise?

Peter
Brought home my Limited on Monday and I can confirm the same incredibly aggravating high pitched electronic noise

Yup, coming from near the glove box! Thank goodness for this forum, I was going to lose my mind with that noise...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm guessing that perhaps you didn't read through the thread or missed it. The answer you seek is in post #33. Good luck.

Peter
We brought the car in and told them about this thread and made them read it. They called ford and were able to get a replacement fuse for it and it's music to my ears. No more high pitch noise. It's such a pleasure to drive now!

Back