High Quality Drop in Filter VS. Cold Air Intake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Quality Drop in Filter VS. Cold Air Intake

Rayz2000Sport

Reaction score
City, State
College Dover DE,Baltimore(Essex) Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Sport
I am faced with a dilema. I have a poweraid throttle body spacer and I am looking to improve my gas mileage and horsepower from there. My initial thought was I can get a cold air intake on ebay for around 90 bucks that I can easily install. This should give me some added horsepower and help improve my gas milage. The problem is this, I love to drive thru deep puddles and I do light off roading (because my truck is basically stock). This two things bring up the issue of having water get into my intake and destroy my engine. I have thought of numerous ways to try and combat this (modifying the stock air box, etc.) but do not know if it is the way to go. On the other hand I could go for a K&N high flow filter (or one made by another company, since there are many), this would seem to solve the problem of the debris, but I dont know that I would attain the same performance and gas milage benefits. Anyone have any thoughts???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most of those "cold air" intakes from ebay are a joke. I have the k&n CAI and i like it. If you want something good and dont wanna spend a ton of money look at the mac intake.
Pm jah81592 he is a vendor and is a great guy to deal with with great prices on all kinds of mods for our explorers.

OK, so an Intake is the way to go? I am still worried about water getting into my filter and in turn the block. Any suggestions for that issue?

i go offroading and drive thru puddles, just dont go flying through small streams and youll be fine. The cold air intakes for explorers still keep the filter in the engine bay so unless you submerge your vehicle up to the hood line you really dont have much to worry about.

I am only worried about this because a day not long ago it rained moderatly hard and I hit some pretty deep puddles, when I got to work and popped the hood there was water on the top of my air box. This is what has me at some what of a stand still as to where to go from my throttle body spacer. I have thrown large amounts of water up over the hood many a time, I drive a good bit of back roads, and I just want to make sure I dont end up with a major problem.

An air intake like the k&n or mac is better than the stock setup for water because the stock setup has a tube that goes down that it sucks air/water up from a lot lower. Take the filter out, and look in the bottom of the filter tray and u'll see what I mean.

Yea that is the only thing that has be weary of getting any intake. I really want one for the performance and gas milage, and the added sound of course haha. But, I need to find a way to make sure I am not sucking up water.

Yea that is the only thing that has be weary of getting any intake. I really want one for the performance and gas milage, and the added sound of course haha. But, I need to find a way to make sure I am not sucking up water.

I think you read my post wrong, the stock setup is bad for water...

I have looked at the box and I see what you saying. I am still just a bit spooked about having a open filter element out where water can hit it. Has anyone used or know of anyone that has used a filter wrap? Supposed to block water and debris? I would think they would also restrict air flow as well, which would be a bit of a bummer.

I think you read my post wrong, the stock setup is bad for water...

sorry for the confusion was commenting on the post before yours.

Yea i mean it shouldnt be a problem. But, I know how I drive. And when I see a big puddle I need to drive though it haha. I just want to make sure all my bases are covered.

I have te K&N set up, and had no intake problems when I did this...

PICT0021.jpg

I have also gone through some water holes of similar depth, and had no problems(I have video if I can fin it) The K&N setup has a metal plate that protects the filter from water being splashed up by the fan a little bit. Then I was stuck in that pic, I could hear my fan splashing water, but when I popped the hood the filter was dry.

I have a KKM intake, which is just the open filter element.
(dead links)
No issues at all. I did replace the filter afterwards tho, but first I had to drive like 45 miles to get back home.

Dan

Get a KKM with the weather shield thing (basicaly a cover that keeps water out) and you should be fine (unless you submerge the intake).

Youll be fine, i have an open filter and ive splashed water up on and over my hood before, and NOTHING. if your scared get one of those bypass filter things. Youll be fine. give the engine bay alittle more credit!

Picture003.jpg

and even going through touchless carwashes BLOW water at the front of the motor, never a problem! youll be fine

Kert we have the same truck! haha I have a gold sport that looks very similar to yours minus the mods. OK so after all the input I am trying to come with a verdict on this. What I am thinking is .... I will get a Cold air intake and just leave some stock air box around it just for my sanity and then go from there. Sound like a reasonable plan?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One other question I have to bring up. I see these filters that are just put on after the MAF with the rest of the intake being stock. What is the benefit of this? Also, I have found that at local auto parts stores I could buy the MAF adaptor plate and a cone filter to make this setup for myself for around 50 bucks. Whats the differant about buying one from a company and basically making one?

Back