Highway MPG | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Highway MPG

I have been wondering about this. I used GPS trackers and maps to measure how far I have traveled on 3 separate trips. My measurements show I have traveled a little less distance than what the trip computer shows. Also, in the 9 times I have bought gas, I am filling up with about 8% more gallons of gas than what the advanced trip computer shows I have used up. This results in my calculated average MPG being about 7% lower than the Explorer's computer.

Has anyone else experienced this? If anything, shouldn't the computer report more gallons used that what I purchased?

I have noticed that as well. When pumping gas, I received about .3 gallons more than what the trip computer says I burned. However, I only started to notice this happening after gas stations converted to the winter blend.

During the summer, the trip meter telling how much fuel was spent was very accurate. Exactly the amount I pumped each time.

Could be just the properties of the fuel or maybe gas stations ripping drivers off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuel Milage

I live in Akron, OH and just came back from 9 days in Fort Mill, SC.

I drove close to 4,000 miles during this time and averaged 24.7 mpg. This was either driving at 65 or 70 mph, or the posted speed limits in the cities. It also included flat highways and mountain driving.

I have the Ecoboost engine. A guy I work with likes to tell me that he has a Dodge Magnum with a V8 who can get to 80 faster than I can. I tell him that I too can get to 80, but that it takes a little longer. So what.

When you compare the entire Explorer with others, it is a great vehicle.

No matter how I drive, I can't get more than 21.5 mpg highway. This is especially disappointing since I traded in my 2008 Volvo XC-90 which got 25mpg highway with the V-8 engine & 300 hp.

Dave

I too have an 4WD XLT and if I pay attention and really feather the gas in those speed ranges I can get very close to 25 on the highway with some hills.

Today I have a 300 mile trip

Today on a un hurried trip of about 250 miles RT, I averaged 23.2 mpg, conversely while pulling a uhaul 5 x 8 trailer along the same route last week I hit 15.4

Today on a un hurried trip of about 250 miles RT, I averaged 23.2 mpg, conversely while pulling a uhaul 5 x 8 trailer along the same route last week I hit 15.4
Was it a uhaul type trailer or an actual Uhaul trailer. Just curious since Uhaul dealers are not allowed to rent their units out for use with Explorers.

A wide range of highway MPG reported here. Maybe about 5% better than old gen 4 V8 6 speed trucks, both are close to 5000 pounds loaded w/ options.

I finally broke to the 20 mpg barrier last weekend, just had my first service, so maybe the mpg will increase as the motor breaks in more.

I finally broke to the 20 mpg barrier last weekend, just had my first service, so maybe the mpg will increase as the motor breaks in more.

Was that 20 mpg for the tank? What kind of driving?

Pay attention to the last paragraph...

CLICK ME

Hi Guys,

I've done some research into automobile gas mileage. Basically, it comes down to speed, engine temperature, tires, and brakes. Speed is the biggest impact...at least 70% of the gas is going to wind resistance at 60mph and it's a square law. Just going a few mph slower has a big impact on fuel economy. (my hybrid gets 75mpg at 50mph and 50mpg at 75mph)

Engine temperature and incoming air temperature seem to make a big difference too. I suspect that just using a warm air intake could bring back some winter economy. Likewise, check the tire pressure.

Finally, brakes are just wasted gas. If you slow down, pump up the tires, and avoid braking, you can probably boost your mileage 20% or more.

Originally Posted by Spengracin

My questions stand since he is reporting on his personal results. We all know about the EPA boilerplate.

MPG 2011 FWD 5800 miles

So far 5800 miles using cruise on a 2011 FWD, I have seen between 23-25.x on the highway with relatively flat terrain and constant speed. My city/hwy mix for each fill-up is averaging about 19.5mpg over the life of the vehicle.

Towing a trailer from MD through PA to NY and back averaged 12-16mpg. That is using tow mode and maintaining set speed up the hills.

I have my 20" tires set at 42 PSI during the summer, 36psi over the winter

Hi Guys,

I've done some research into automobile gas mileage. Basically, it comes down to speed, engine temperature, tires, and brakes. Speed is the biggest impact...at least 70% of the gas is going to wind resistance at 60mph and it's a square law. Just going a few mph slower has a big impact on fuel economy. (my hybrid gets 75mpg at 50mph and 50mpg at 75mph)

Engine temperature and incoming air temperature seem to make a big difference too. I suspect that just using a warm air intake could bring back some winter economy. Likewise, check the tire pressure.

Finally, brakes are just wasted gas. If you slow down, pump up the tires, and avoid braking, you can probably boost your mileage 20% or more.
Cold air is more dense and results in better combustion. That is why they make Cold air intakes and usually the factory intake draws air through a hose routed to a place to capture cooler air. A warm air intake would hurt performance.

Was it a uhaul type trailer or an actual Uhaul trailer. Just curious since Uhaul dealers are not allowed to rent their units out for use with Explorers.

It was a uhaul trailer, and I have my way of getting around it.

This just in.....very windy all today, 150 mile round trip almost all highway, head and side wind I averaged 22.7 @ 70ish

Cold air is more dense and results in better combustion. That is why they make Cold air intakes and usually the factory intake draws air through a hose routed to a place to capture cooler air. A warm air intake would hurt performance.

I'll test this one out. The hypermilers bring in warmer air for some reason. Perhaps it's like "downsizing" your engine so it runs closer to high throttle/high efficiency? (ie: less air mass = less fuel per stroke)

Regardless, I'm glad you said something because I went outside to hook up a warm air hose and discovered a nest in the air filter. It's got a much nicer sound now.

BTW, with some aeromods I've gotten my Mazda b4000 from 18.5 mpg to 26mpg on a set trip but it dropped 2mpg when the temp dropped 30 degrees. (same winter gas)

Drove 650 mile round trip from ATL to NC this weekend in my FWD V6 and averaged 27.9 MPG according to the dashboard fuel consumption calculator. Drove between 55-67 MPH. Is the dashboard indicator accurate?

I use a scan guage 2, and calibrated the speed to gps. I think the dash speed was 1-2 mph off (too slow) at 60 mph. Though that's with 235/70r15 tires at 40 psi. I imagine there is lots of room for error. 27+ seems awesome.

Hard to believe 27+mpg with the N.GA mtns and NC mtns, but maybe at 55mph...who knows. I got 21+ on my last trip to Fl from ATL at hwy speed of about 78mph. For some reason I got less mileage on my way back. South-North with no "headwind". I just use the trip computer for my mpg.

Driving back from the outer banks two weeks ago driving between 55 and 60 I saw 27.9 MPG for a 10 mile stretch. As soon as I had to stop for a few lights and rest room break it dropped back a bit. Still, for the whole trip, including playing on the beach, I managed 24.5 MPG which is really good in my book.

Driving 230 miles with the car topper on I managed just over 21 MPG.

2012 AWD limited with just under 6k on the clock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually, my route was up 85 through Charlotte and to the east of the mountains. I rarely was going 55 except when it was the speed limit. More often I had the cruise control set at 65. I'm wondering how accurate the dashboard calculator is.

Back