• Register Today It's free!

Hints on changing the diff fluid?

Gigantor

Reaction score
City, State
Ringwood, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Since over spring break I will be doing A LOT of preventive mant I figured that the diff fluid should be changed. Now when should it have been changed? I just hit 70,000 on my 93. Any hints on this procedure, or problems that I may run into? What about syn fluid?
I think I better get a service manual. Maybe Chiltons...
You guys really are great,

------------------
Nick
'93 XLT 4 Door 4x4
Bosch Plat+4's with SplitFire Dual Core wires and a
K&N Air Filter with a Modified Air Box

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nick,

My factory service manual(91) doesnt give a change interval for the diff fluid. It only says to check it every year. I change my rear fluid every year (if I think about it) the front I check after mud or water running to see if any water made it in, and change it then. I use synthetics - specifically Mobil 1.

Front get a suction pump to suck the fluid out through the fill hole, rear you can do the same or pull the cover and have it spill out into a pan and reinstall the cover. Taking the cover off lets you inspect the gears if you're so inclined. I usually pull the cover- it seems easier to me than getting to the fill plug on the rear axle, quicker too.

If you get a manual get the factory one if you can -its alot more expensive-but the info it has if you do the work yourself will pay it back. The simpler manuals just dont have enough year specific info when you are doing anything past maintainance IMO.

------------------
Steve VB
91 Navajo
2 1/2" Rancho,
31" Goodyear AT/S

Does the suction pump do an adequate job of removing all the fluid and contaminates or would it be better to pull the entire front end apart and open up the diff?

------------------
93XLT-5.5" Super Runner, Super Runner Steering, 1.5" Body lift,33x12.5,
Borla exhaust,KKM air filter, Warn HS9500i winch, Sony deck & 10 disk CD changer w/ 12" sub.

Nick-I ordered a aluminum rear end cover from MAC which comes with both a drain and a filler hole for $134 + shipping. I have yet to install it, but I know once I do, it'll make it much easier to drain and fill the fluid in the rear. Check out www.macprod.com. Ask them for a Ford 8.8 rear. Looks like the SVT rears from Mustangs. It sure beats the composite rear cover.

Suction pump should do an adequate job. I guess if you wanted you could unbolt the third member from the I beam and let the fluid run out, but it may be difficult to get it resealed.
Unless there has been some failure in the diff, sucking out the old fluid should be adequate. It doesnt get used that often so not much wear occurs- some explorers prob. havent even been put in 4wd so they have no wear. I should know this summer- I hope to be getting new gears installed. I will see then if any adverse wear has occured- doubt it. Ive changed the fluid in the front prob 4-5 times in the 10 years Ive owned it, usually after lots of mud/water running.

------------------
Steve VB
91 Navajo
2 1/2" Rancho,
31" Goodyear AT/S

I bought a little pump that goes on the end of a drill for about 7bucks from home depot, it has garden hose connectors, at the plumbing department they make fittings called garden hose by barb, and get about 6 feet of vinyl tubing, it worked great for the front axle removing and refilling, for the rear the plug is much smaller, a suction pump from an auto store runs about 7 bucks also but you need to reduce the tubing size to fit in the plug hole. This is very time consuming(and a pain to keep crawling under the truck) since the suction pump holds only about a 1/2 to 3/4 of a pint and theres like 2 quarts? of fluid in the rear. you can buy a reducing barb fitting which could work for drill pump and at least it fills alot faster.

The drill pump also works great on filling the transmission and transfer case. although I felt using the suction pump was a little more reassuring in making sure I got all the old fluid out, the drill pump doesn't work well when there's air in the line. total investment 20 bucks in pumps,tubing, and fittings. and about 30 for redline synthetics. It took me about 2 hours to do mine but that counts 2 trips to Home Depot and not having a clue of what I was doing on my 93 navajo, but I did my buddies 93 sport in 20 minutes both axles and the manual tranny. Good Luck!

Dan

I kept it simple and just bought a suction pump for about 10 bucks. It does a very adequate job.

Syder-1

------------------
doo doo happens

FYI
Steel cover from ford for 8.8 = $20

------------------
"Don't go where the road don't go." -Ringo Starr

Wil - '92 EB

Back