Hood Latch Cable Discomboobulated ! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hood Latch Cable Discomboobulated !

stilbo

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 XL Base
Help!

I'd rather not have to use a sawzall to get into my engine compartment...

I pulled the hood release cable and the cable must have come undone form the latch assembly. I can still see the cable portion in the interior so it had to come off at the latch.

How the heck do I get the hood open to fix the $*&$*#*n cable?

Thanx

rds :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ever read the book Catch-22? I remember reading a thread on this a while ago. Do a search and answers ye shall recieve!

Thanks Shagsta,

I did a search and I haven't seen a lot of specific methods other than sprayin it with penetrant, pullin really hard from the inside (don't want to go there) spendin an eternity messing with a couple long screws only to still not be able to open it and finally Laura69 mentioned that there is a small slot that you can get a screw driver into and leverage the innards to the left or right and that will work. I kinda like that one. I will be sprayin the latch with PB Blaster though...

rds :roll:

which truck are you talking about?

Duh...

I've been wrastlin out in the shop with my '66 F100 460 Lincoln monster and the fumes musta got to me..

The '96 LTD is the hood culprit.

Funny thing is, the LTD at 153,000 miles and only nine years old. The winters are really nasty here but the '91 and the '93 have never done this. I remember lubricating the '93 hood latch..... once.

I guess that the Ford dealers don't even lubricate according to the maintenance schedule anymore. I asked the kid that was my tech of the day if he lubed the transmission selector mechanism and I got a blank stare so I guess that he didn't lube the hood latch either. The LTD is the stable queen and she gets the royal treatment but I'm crossing at least one Ford dealership off of my list to take her to.

rds :roll:

I sprayed it with PB Blaster last night and tonight I tried to open it and nada. I'm affraid that the cable is disconnected from the latch.

I WISH THAT THERE WAS A MAGIC BULLET !

Back