• Register Today It's free!

Horn relay?

Offroadterra

Reaction score
City, State
Suffolk County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Explorer Limited
I am installing a set of air horns, and have come across one problem. I do not know what wire to use to honk the horns. In past cars I usually pull the horn relay, tap into the trigger wire and HONK. I'm using a relay and am all wired up. Just can't figure the trigger wire out, or where the horn relay is. Please help, thanks. Ps. Wow there is not a whole lotta room under the hood.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am installing a set of air horns, and have come across one problem. I do not know what wire to use to honk the horns. In past cars I usually pull the horn relay, tap into the trigger wire and HONK. I'm using a relay and am all wired up. Just can't figure the trigger wire out, or where the horn relay is. Please help, thanks. Ps. Wow there is not a whole lotta room under the hood.

What's the purpose of the airhorn? Is it so the alarm is louder or something?

Guess the alarm would be much louder. All of my vehicles have had the big rig air horns hidden somewhere on them. Just like ppl to hear my honk, while they are blabbering on their cells or having the radio cranked. Have a set of train horns going on my jeep.

iagree.gif

I think our horns are on the 'quiet side' for a truck.

Interesting question. The Explorer has lots of things controlled by the vehicle computer. I wonder if there is even an accessible relay for the horns.

Have you tried triggering off the 12v wire that feeds the horn itself?

Not yet. Have to pull down part o the plastics under bumper to get to the wires. Guess that is what I'll try this week. I'll keep everyone posted on what I do. And what happens.

iagree.gif

I think our horns are on the 'quiet side' for a truck.

I agree with you. My old 95 Explorer's alarm was so loud you could hear it across a filled parking lot the size of a football field. I want to make the alarm louder as well. Would it help if you pull a fuse/relay one by one and honk the horn?

So pulling down the plastics under the bumper I was able to reach up and tie into pos horn wire, believe it was yellow in color. Horns work flawlessly, even though I prefer to have tied into the relay, this works fine.

Thx, can you provide a link to the make/model of the air horn you installed?

Love to see some pics of where you put the airhorn and compressor etc. I have wanted to put some flutter horns on but have not yet figured out a place to mount em.. Surely would like some ideas..

Maybe now it is not mowing or leaf season I have some time to play under the hook LOL..

Back