Hot hubs, dragging brake?

RobertFord

Reaction score
City, State
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi All,

I recently noticed my front hubs (both left and right) being hot after a drive. I checked the bearings, which seemed fine, but were nearly dry! So i re-greased them and tightened them properly, but the heat is still there.
It's hot to the point where you're not sure if you can still hold it, but you still can (just).

I'm figuring I might have a dragging brake problem, but I'm not too sure as it concerns both wheels equally, they are also equally hard to turn. Could just having a brake fluid change fix the problem? I think the problem must be further up the chain than the individual caliper because it affects both wheels equally.

Looking forward to your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you ever touched them before and now feel they are hotter then before Because Hot is normal

Nope, I just noticed it a while back and have kept an eye on it since. How hot should be normal? cozy, or burning?

It's heard to see, but the break fluid looks a bit dark, so perhaps it's time to have it changed anyways.

Hot so you almost can't grab the hub is what I would call normal.

dirty brake fluid would not cause a drag but it wouldn't hurt to change it out for giggles.

Take calipers off their brackets, push the pistons all the way in all the way in, suck out all the fluid from the Reservoir and replace with clean. Not a total flush but a big improvement. Then clean the Touch surfaces of the Calipers and Brackets , a dab of grease on those surfaces along with cleaning the Slides and you should be good.he

Make sure you use brake grease and not normal auto grease!

Had them done today, according to the mechanic it was long overdue, and they couldn't do the rear brakes because they didn't have the right tools (Netherlands, 'eh :) ) I also had them grease the calipers with brake grease, just to be sure they run smooth.

The hubs still run hot though, so I guess it's up to the bearings now...

In many instances an overtorq'd wheel bearing nut/spindle is too blame. How much torque are you using on them?

Back