how common is a bad water pump/4.6 v8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how common is a bad water pump/4.6 v8

jakedrew

Reaction score
City, State
wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 xlt
I had a water pump go out on my 04 xlt 4.6 v8.

crazy thing is it had 25,000 miles at the time. warrenty covered it of course, but still that has to be unheard of. ?

Just wanted to see if i am not alone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, I'e following this forum for many years, and have owned Mustangs with 4.6L and was on those sites for years, and have never heard of water pumps being problems on these engines.

first water pump as far as i can remember too. which isn't much these days . . .

I figured so too. When i took it in the service guy must have thought i was lying. I popped the hood and said look where it is leaking coolant.

bad thing is, the guy who fixed it (ford shop) must not have put the belt on right, started it and it scredded and got rubber everywhere. then he put it on right and sent it on the way.

Wife got home with it and says it smells like burning rubber. Well ya, rubber all over the place, coolant low and scuffs on the fender. So i took it back and had a nice conversation with the guy in charge there. It got fixed up.:)

I just posted up to see how common this is/ if at all.

thanks for the replies

I had a water pump go out on my 04 xlt 4.6 v8.

crazy thing is it had 25,000 miles at the time. warrenty covered it of course, but still that has to be unheard of. ?

Just wanted to see if i am not alone.
I've seen them with most of the fins rotted off the impeller. It wont leak coolant, and you can let it idle for days and it will never over heat. When you get it on the highway, it finally overheats.
At idle it pushes enough water to cool the engine, but at highway speeds, it cant pump enough.

Back