• Register Today It's free!

05 XLT 2WD 4.6 Engine swap

sakirfp

Reaction score
City, State
Forsyth GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT 4.6
I have started the process of pulling out the 4.6 v8 from my Explorer. I am going to be putting in a used one with a about 130K on it. What kind of things should I change when I put in my new one? So far here is what I have listed
AC Recharge
Fuel Injectors
Fuel Filter
Spark Plugs & Wires
Alternator
Water Pump
Radiator
Any Rubber Hoses
Belt
Transmission Oil Colling lines( I cut them taking out the radiators)
Gaskets
Thermostat
Belt

Any other suggestions and why would be great

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@sakirfp How many miles are on the transmission? Has it ever had any major service done? Likely the 5R55S? Might consider as preventive maintenance replacement of the Torque Converter and Solenoid Module, if they are high-mileage. The Converter Clutch as well as the TCC Solenoid take a beating, especially when used by a driver having the twitchy habit of constantly getting on and off the gas pedal. At cruise, each time the throttle is released, the TCC disengages, then re-engages upon demand for power again. Just thinkin'........imp

Used engine has 130K on it? you might want to check the timing chain guides before you put the engine in. Guides, chains, tensioners, etc are lot easier to deal with with engine on a stand. If the guides are cracked or busted, then pull the oil pan to clean it out and check the oil pump inlet for any junk. Look carefully for any signs that the intake manifold doesn't have a coolant leak. Also check the gasket where the lower coolant hose and oil filter attach, it is a common source of leaks.

The transmission has 236K miles on it...never had any work on it. I thought about once the engine is in getting the transmission rebuilt

The transmission has 236K miles on it...never had any work on it. I thought about once the engine is in getting the transmission rebuilt
@sakirfp A rebuild would be a wise decision, IMO. imp

That gasket on the oil filter is one that I planned on changing. It went out on this engine at some point. The current engine let loose at 236K

ExP.jpg

Used engine has 130K on it? you might want to check the timing chain guides before you put the engine in. Guides, chains, tensioners, etc are lot easier to deal with with engine on a stand. If the guides are cracked or busted, then pull the oil pan to clean it out and check the oil pump inlet for any junk. Look carefully for any signs that the intake manifold doesn't have a coolant leak. Also check the gasket where the lower coolant hose and oil filter attach, it is a common source of leaks.

@sakirfp A rebuild would be a wise decision, IMO. imp

I have thought about putting a rebuilt engine...Just the cost of might not be worth it. I am looking at getting an Engine from LKQ..A used one with 130K is about $1100 and a remanufactured one with a 3 year warranty is $4400. The remanufactured one must be installed by a ASE tech for the warranty to be honored.

I have thought about putting a rebuilt engine...Just the cost of might not be worth it. I am looking at getting an Engine from LKQ..A used one with 130K is about $1100 and a remanufactured one with a 3 year warranty is $4400. The remanufactured one must be installed by a ASE tech for the warranty to be honored.
@sakirfp
Use caution in buying remanufactured, unless the work was done by a certified remanufacturing firm. It is easy for "fly by night" places to sell product they call "remanufactured, charging an extreme amount as "insurance money". Also, if used, can the mileage be verified? A vehicle with engine still in it, dormant, usually cannot have electronic odometer turned on. imp

@sakirfp
Use caution in buying remanufactured, unless the work was done by a certified remanufacturing firm. It is easy for "fly by night" places to sell product they call "remanufactured, charging an extreme amount as "insurance money". Also, if used, can the mileage be verified? A vehicle with engine still in it, dormant, usually cannot have electronic odometer turned on. imp
LKQ provides the donor vehicle information when you purchase the used engine. When getting the remanfactured one from them they warranty it 3 Years unlimited miles...I just do not pay $4400 for a vehicle on a good is only worth 6K

Back