How do I disable driver's door dinging bell | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I disable driver's door dinging bell

chuckwagon101

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer sport
I have a 1999 Ford Explorer Sport.

Just today I had a garage replace the turn signal flasher relay.

Now when the driver's door is opened I get the "Bell ringing" sound. DING! DING! DING! It has not done this in years. I think it did when I bought it new in 1999, but I really can't remember.

All I know is that it is an annoyance and if you know of a way I can disable it please let me know.

Thank you, Chuckwagon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer Sport.

Just today I had a garage replace the turn signal flasher relay.

Now when the driver's door is opened I get the "Bell ringing" sound. DING! DING! DING! It has not done this in years. I think it did when I bought it new in 1999, but I really can't remember.

All I know is that it is an annoyance and if you know of a way I can disable it please let me know.

Thank you, Chuckwagon

I am not sure about the 99 year, but the 91-94's have a small black box under the dash by the ash tray that contains the door chime. You can unplug it and throw it in the trash. My 1986 GT Mustang had the same box. I wonder if the garage plugged it back in thinking they were doing you a favor.

I am not sure about the 99 year, but the 91-94's have a small black box under the dash by the ash tray that contains the door chime. You can unplug it and throw it in the trash. My 1986 GT Mustang had the same box. I wonder if the garage plugged it back in thinking they were doing you a favor.

Thanks, I will check it out tomorrow! I would really love to get rid of that sound!

What happens is they disturbed the wire going to the column for key minder. It dings when it grounds out. It was probably floating around in the column before and now it's grounding out.

What happens is they disturbed the wire going to the column for key minder. It dings when it grounds out. It was probably floating around in the column before and now it's grounding out.

The only time it "dings" is when the driver's door is opened. And it KEEPS dinging until closed.

The only time it "dings" is when the driver's door is opened. And it KEEPS dinging until closed.

Also, I don't have the skills or patience to remove the dash panel ......

What is it about the door "closing" and "opening" that sets off the clanging bell??? If I could find that switch or button then I could defeat it's operation in some way. But removing the dash is out of the question for me. That work is in the hundreds of dollars at any repair shop so that is totally out with my meager budget.

Thanks for any help. Chuckwagon

Chime disable linked is for a 2001-05 ST, and may not apply to your 1999 Sport due to possible wiring and color coding differences. All three methods require door or kick panel removal. Does the chime only sound with key in the ignition?

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/projects.asp?VIEW=298&WRENCHES=2&PageHeader=

The door chime sounds with or without the key inserted. Anytime the door is open even a centimeter it chimes. I have the seats down in the back with milk crate storage. I often open the door, move the seat forward and get various items for projects or sports. The door chimes the entire time and is bothersome.

If there is not a simple fix I will just learn to live with it and put most of my "grab and go" items on the passenger side. The driver's side is the only door that sets off the chimes.

Thanks

Yes because it thinks the key is in the ignition. Take the cover off around the steering column and I bet you'll find a wire with a funny plastic peice on the end floating around by the ignition. Just tape the end up and it will never ding again.

Yes because it thinks the key is in the ignition. Take the cover off around the steering column and I bet you'll find a wire with a funny plastic peice on the end floating around by the ignition. Just tape the end up and it will never ding again.

Ok. I will try it tomorrow.

Back