How do I mount spare tire on the rear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I mount spare tire on the rear

matts91XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Summerfield Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
how do i mount the spare tire on the back hatch? is there a kit i have to buy? if so where can i get one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to make it yourself or have a fabrication place do it for you. You could also try using the bronco2 swing out spare tire carrier...you will have to modify it a little though.

Build a bumper with a swing out on it. That's always the best option. Gotta have some fab skills or some cash though. I may try the Bronco II swing out idea... I think I would rather have stuff mounted to the bumper, not the sheet metal though...specially with a 35 haning off it...

Build a bumper with a swing out on it. That's always the best option. Gotta have some fab skills or some cash though. I may try the Bronco II swing out idea... I think I would rather have stuff mounted to the bumper, not the sheet metal though...specially with a 35 haning off it...

(dead link)

made this one in an afternoon and at a cost of $54.00 for steel. I took the bronco one off because with a full size spare and jack mounted on the swing gate. I was getting to much weight on the stock one.

hears mine.
100_2388.jpg

I don t know how to pick up photos or links here.... :( but you can do a search for "Millitarized Explorer", and u can see my solution!!!
I have had it for years.

Regards.

can any body send me some plans to take to a shop to get it fabbed?:thumbsup:

I think if you've got to pay someone to do it, just find a bunch of good pics of the ones you like and take them along. Anyone good with a torch and a welder should be able to come up with something for you. Plans for this are pretty simple and a decent fab shop should get something banged together for you pretty quick...

I am building mine over the 3 day weekend coming up will post pics.

i have found a site where u can get a spare tire mount that plugs into the trailer hitch. www.tiregate.com

i like your setup, now you have me thinking back up lights you just had to did'nt you!!

well i guess i won't put the pics up when i put break lights in there spot, and move them in more.:D

I have seen some good idea's on this site,

Back