• Register Today It's free!

How do I tell if I have a AWD

R3DXploder

Reaction score
City, State
McKinney, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
Just picked up a 98 Explorer 2D Sport 4.0...4x4 Switch on dash reads, Auto-4 high-Low. Truck runs and drives fine on and off the road but when you give it gas on loose gravel it seems to hook up well and won't spin just the rears. At first I thought it was stuck in 4 high then it hit me some of these were AWD but there are no dead give aways that its a AWD truck...Or is that what AUTO stands for.

Sorry for the newb question but after searching the site I was unable to find my answer. With this only being my 2nd 4 wheel drive and 1st explorer I wasn't 100% about it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According the the vin."U24" — Explorer (2-door) 4x4

Not a AWD so maybe I have a issue here...

The only explorers that came with AWD had a 5.0 V8 and all where 4 doors. The only way you would have a AWD sport is if you had a sport that has a 5.0 v8, transmission, and AWD transfer case put in it. There are a few of us that have done that swap and it is well worth it.

If you have a switch on the dash, then you don't have a AWD. Also AWD Explorers were only offered with the 5.0L V8. The way the Explorer transfers the power is not very good for gas mileage, I have been looking into the F-150 Transfercase swap myself, that way I get 4low, and slightly better gas mileage.

Auto means it automatically engages 4wd when it detects slip, but is normally 2wd. The other settings lock it int 4wd.

On an AWD vehicle, all 4 wheels are constantly driven by the engine and are coupled by a form of a differential in the center, which allows the front wheels to turn at a different speed from the rear. On a 4wd vehicle, the front and rear are connected by a gear box, so when in 4wd, the front and rear turn at the same speed.

Your truck is operating normally. If it were locked in 4wd, it would fight you when you tried to turn on surfaces with high traction, like pavement. Your wheels would scrub a little since each wheel travels a different distance when turning a corner. Locking a vehicle in 4wd forces the front wheels to turn the same speed as the rear, despite the fact that the distance they travel is different. Look up how differential or AWD works on youtube for videos to explain it in more detail.

I won't bother repeating what the others told you.

The only explorers that came with AWD had a 5.0 V8 and all where 4 doors. The only way you would have a AWD sport is if you had a sport that has a 5.0 v8, transmission, and AWD transfer case put in it. There are a few of us that have done that swap and it is well worth it.
Thats what I was thinking but was not really sure. It was a young girls truck and 100% stock so I doubt anything like that has been done.

If you have a switch on the dash, then you don't have a AWD. Also AWD Explorers were only offered with the 5.0L V8. The way the Explorer transfers the power is not very good for gas mileage, I have been looking into the F-150 Transfercase swap myself, that way I get 4low, and slightly better gas mileage.

Thanks for all the info guys. So these transfer cases are the same as what year f 150s?

Auto means it automatically engages 4wd when it detects slip, but is normally 2wd. The other settings lock it int 4wd.

On an AWD vehicle, all 4 wheels are constantly driven by the engine and are coupled by a form of a differential in the center, which allows the front wheels to turn at a different speed from the rear. On a 4wd vehicle, the front and rear are connected by a gear box, so when in 4wd, the front and rear turn at the same speed.

Your truck is operating normally. If it were locked in 4wd, it would fight you when you tried to turn on surfaces with high traction, like pavement. Your wheels would scrub a little since each wheel travels a different distance when turning a corner. Locking a vehicle in 4wd forces the front wheels to turn the same speed as the rear, despite the fact that the distance they travel is different. Look up how differential or AWD works on youtube for videos to explain it in more detail.

I won't bother repeating what the others told you.
Just got it running and its not taged but I took it out on the street in front of the house and it drives fine and even did a 3 point turn and everything feels normal.Guess im just worrying about it to much.When I power braked it and it felt like it was about to spin the rears it wouldn't so I started thinkiing what the hell is wrong with this thing lol.

On another note, do you guys know if the 97 leaf springs are a direct bolt in swap to my 98 with the mono leaf crap. I have a complete donor explorer here that we took the motor out of for my sport its a 4x4 4 door that has nice rear leafs and new shocks. So im thinking about swapping the stuff over this thursday.

Thats what I was thinking but was not really sure. It was a young girls truck and 100% stock so I doubt anything like that has been done.

Thanks for all the info guys. So these transfer cases are the same as what year f 150s?

They are not the same, but you can swap them in so you can have a selectable 4WD system, instead of a constant AWD system.

Just thought I would mention that this "do I have an AWD" question is especially interesting, if you DO have one. I recently bought a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0L V8 (no original paperwork), it was advertised as a 4X4 and my mechanic friend thought it was and bill of sale said it was...

...later I noted no 4x4 button (as expected) and when I got my mechanic friend to look underneath, he noted no front drive shaft. SO I either had a 2wd trim (which WAS sold) or an AWD with missing FDS (and issues about parking prawel, differential strain, etc.)...

...I spent hours on the phone with VIN nbr and 5 different Ford Customer reps, who finally decided it was AWD trim. You just cant tell from the Vin nbr code sheet, the labels on doors, engine, instrument panels, etc, emblems or words on vehicle frame, etc, the difference between a 2WD or AWD out of the factory! (Not everyone is spry enough to look underneath!!)

There is a very easy way to figure out. If it is a V8 the only options are 2wd or AWD.(all yrs) If it a V6 it is either 2wd or auto 4wd.(98-01)

if you have no 4WD HI/LO switch above the cig lighter, have a V8 and you look underneath the truck and see front axles, a front diff, transfer case and have 4 doors, you have AWD.

Been driving mine for a few days now and everything works great. Has 141k on chassis and the donor motor has 215k. I removed the mono leaf and replaced with 4 door rear springs and shackles so I can do the TT and add a leaf at a later date. Currently running 255/70/16s but I want something bigger :):exporange

Just remember that your current tire's dimensions are 30.5X10.5. So, when you are looking at the guide for what size tire fits what kind of lift, remember, you can't go a lot bigger than you already are without changes. The TT and add a leaf will give you the ability to get up to a 32" tire stuffed in there with minor trimming at worst, but to go much bigger, you will need to consider a body lift as well.

Yes, Albi.... I determined (your way) that I had AWD or 2WD, just didn't know which (and neither did Ford, at first (second, third, fourth try).

Yes, Koda, we looked underneath, and did NOT see FDS! So assumed it was 2WD trim version. But it turned out (as you know from our thread talk elsewhere) it turned out to be an AWD with FDS gone!!!

Some model years they seem to put AWD emblem on the exterior vehicle body, but not these years (tho i guess u can add it yourself). You would think (wouldnt u) that in or under the vin nbr, it would say AWD or 2WD somehow clearly. Yes, of course a 4x4 button is a telltale sign of that version, but look at the overhead console for moonroof-dome lamps-compass-temperature. You can have the compass-temperature button (MODE) and window (for temp and direction) but that feature is not necessarily installed in your vehicle (at least my latest research shows that.) I guess if you have a 4x4 button u have the 4x4 feature, safely assumed:)

Been driving mine for a few days now and everything works great. Has 141k on chassis and the donor motor has 215k. I removed the mono leaf and replaced with 4 door rear springs and shackles so I can do the TT and add a leaf at a later date. Currently running 255/70/16s but I want something bigger :):exporange

Glad things are working it for you! It really is a magnificent vehicle, and probably brand new off the lot, was Paradise on Wheels!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back