How I got my FREE Explorer

chrlblk

Reaction score
City, State
Clearlake CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
Hey all
I got my 93 ex 4x4 for free from a friend of a friends cousins girlfriend... She just wanted to get rid of it. Well it has 200,000 miles on it and was not taken care of that well It had regular oil changes and almost no other maint.
I am the second owner.
It is on the origional a4ld that showing its age.
So far I have replaced the water pump, shift modulator,origional shocks, and what I am guessing was the origional plugs and wires, repaired the 4x4 shift motor, replaced drivers side door hinges, cleaned the leaves out from around the blower motor resistor (had a small fire that filled car with smoke on my way home from work).
My plans for this truck are catching up on the maint items like new hoses, new belt, fuel filter... rebuilding the trans, mounting a fire extinguisher, fixing gas guage, switching to manual hubs adding some good tires and driving till it won't drive any more.

Welcome to this forum! 3 different people gave me old vehicles in the past for free that are real fixer uppers. After all of this time, I'm still fixing them! That is why they gave them away for free. They are money pits. You pretty much have to start from scratch rebuilding just about everything that it came with. When you figure it out in the end, it cost a lot more than just buying one that was in decent condition. The only advantage to this is that you know that it wasn't played around with by a mechanic that didn't do something right. Good luck on your new project! Maybe you could post some how to article here on a recent repair that you just did.

Back