• Register Today It's free!

How many miles to expect

cgolden

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus. OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' XLT
This is kinda an opinon question but how many miles do you guys think an explorer should last. Mine currently has 194,000 I am just intersted as to how many more miles it can be driven before major problems such as transmission and engine problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depends on how well you take care of it. There are explorers on here up over 250k, I've heard of a few over 300k. The transmissions are a weak point so they don't last forever but the OHV is a proven motor to last a long time, I've heard of the newer sohc's going for a long time. The 5.0's run forever and the trans behind them is better then the one behind the v6's. All depends on how well you take care of the truck.

thanks I hope it lasts forever...

just to regularly scheduled maintenance, try not to beat it real hard (all tho that 4.0 is one tough motor) it should last a long time if its taken care of right

I just turned 190,000 in my 95 XLT. It doesn't burn Oil and it's a pretty dependable ride. I however just replaced the Tranny 2 weeks ago but I was happy to go that far before it happened.

Well I try to go easy on mine and keep uo on everything, I have the 4.0 SOHC moter in mine do you guys know anything about weather or not the timming chains should be changed on it. Its not ratteling or anything.

my brother is an emt with rural metro ambulance and the explorer he drives has over 250,000 miles on it

If they brake will there be more damage or will i just be out of commision untill I get it fixed?

I have over 250k on my 95. I had to replace the transmisson about 15k miles ago. I think it would have lasted longer and been cheaper to fix if I had replaced the fluid and serviced it when I heard the first noises.

Don't forget to change the diff and transfer case fluids too. I should last you double what you are now.

Well thats good to hear, I'll have to get on changing all the fluids, I think im gona wait till it hits 200,000 then I'll change all the fluids

I believe that adding the dual by-pass filter will prolong your engine life as well. I saw one person who concluded it wouldn't be cost effective to add it since his vehicle was high mileage. The problem I have with that thinking is you can move your by-pass filter from one vehicle to another. So give it some thought. It will increase the life of your engine and you can keep it forever!

I believe that adding the dual by-pass filter will prolong your engine life as well. I saw one person who concluded it wouldn't be cost effective to add it since his vehicle was high mileage. The problem I have with that thinking is you can move your by-pass filter from one vehicle to another. So give it some thought. It will increase the life of your engine and you can keep it forever!

Sound recommendation; I love mine.

Take a look at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126111&highlight=amsoil+bypass

I learned everything I know about it from Al! :)

Back