Removing and Rebuilding BW4404 AWD transfer case with PICS! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing and Rebuilding BW4404 AWD transfer case with PICS!

BajaBlaster

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT 5.0
Hello fellow Explorers,

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD. To make a long story short I wrecked the original viscous coupler and needed to replace it. I ordered a brand new Viscous Coupler on automatictransmissionparts.com for $200 which was about $100 cheaper than everywhere else. I also ordered a new chain and transmission/transfer case gasket along with a new seal kit. The shipping was free but it took me about 2 weeks to receive all the parts.

Now that I had the parts I went to removing the transfer case and taking it apart. I broke 5 bolts off in the back half of the case and a couple of weeks later I had the broken bolts removed and the threads fixed. May god be with anyone who has to take one of these apart! In the process of removing the snapped off bolts the guy used a torch and heated the main bearing up too much and wrecked it.

I have deleted my original question and posted my new question at the bottom of this thread along with pics. I am trying to find out if the seal I got in my seal kit will work for the bushing side. It looks different than the original seal I removed.

Thanks for any input!

image000002.jpg

The front half of BW4404 transfer case with all internal components.

image000001.jpg

"carrier assembly" with thrust washer on top, not sure what purpose the white plastic insert has in end of shaft.

image000000.jpg

"carrier assembly" removed. Gear with larger thrust washer on top.

image000009.jpg

gear and viscous coupler removed.

image000008.jpg

All internal components removed without the need of tools. Just slides apart.

image000006.jpg

Internal components that were removed laid out.

image000001.jpg

Another view of the transfer case with the chain guides removed. (note the center drilled broken bolts stuck in case)

image000000.jpg

Same view with the broken bolts removed and new bolts installed in those holes.

image000002.jpg

Close up view of the bearing with the snap-ring around the splined shaft.

image000001.jpg

New Seal kit I bought for the BW4404

image000003.jpg

For those of you who need to remove your transfer case, You must remove the center console to gain access to transmission access panel on the floor. It comes out as one large piece and there are only 5 bolts total that need to be removed that hold the center console in along with 2 metal clips that slide into mating slots in the bottom rear of the console. After removing the bolts you must pound the console back towards the rear of the vehicle to get the clips to slide out. This step was a pain! It helped to stick a flathead screwdriver under the console to try to bend the clips up slightly.

image000006.jpg

Here is the front of the console mounting location where you remove 2 bolts plus the one bolt holding the electrical connection together.

image000004.jpg

Here is the 2 rear bolts holding the rear of console to floor. (bolts are threaded into the holes they belong to)

image000007.jpg

Directly between the 2 seat belts are the slots in the floor that the clips mate to from the bottom and rear of center console.

image000005.jpg

Here is the transmission access panel removed. There is one small bolt in each corner. This step was very simple and straightforward and absolutely necessary to gain access to the top 2 bolts that hold the transfer case to the rear of the transmission. The carpet was sliced up the middle to gain access to panel. This cut will be covered by the center console once re-installed.

view inside access panel.jpg

View inside access panel looking rearward to the 2 top bolts that hold transfer case to rear of transmission.

Inkedbajablaster_LI.jpg

The Baja Blaster! Got it for $900 with 150,000 miles on it! Very Clean except for some minor rust on bottoms of rear doors. Possibly the best vehicle ever made for the snowy frozen lakes of Minnesota. Does better in the snow than my buddies fancy 2015 Chevy 1500 4x4!

There you go! I wish I had found a post like this with pictures when I started this project! If you need to remove your transfer case this information is Vital!

Thanks again for any help!

UPDATE 4/9/21 @11:30pm

I answered my own original question and was able to remove the bearing and bushing plus both seals with a hammer and punch and a large piece of metal that matched the diameter perfectly. It was far easier than I thought. Now I have a new question along with new pictures so you can see what I'm asking here. I have a new seal for the bearing side but the other new larger seal I have for the bushing side looks slightly different but seems like it would fit in fine. I am wondering if anyone knows if this is a newer upgraded design on the old seal or if this new one (with the brass/copper and extra lip) is for a different part of the transfer case?

image000000.jpg

Here is the seal in question. This is the side with the bushing. This is the original seal still in place.

image000001.jpg

On the left is the new seal I have which has the same diameter in the mating area as the old seal (on the right) but also has a brass inner brace plus and extra lip. Does anyone know if this is for a different area or if this is a new upgraded design? The seal kit I ordered from transmissionpartsdistributor.com said this is for my BW4404 and all the other included seals are exactly like the old ones in looks and size.

image000002.jpg

The new seal in question is on top and you can see the added lip which looks like it would just help it seal against the outside of the case. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might reference this thorough teardown of a BW4405 in how to remove the bearing.

You might reference this thorough teardown of a BW4405 in how to remove the bearing.

Thank you for the suggestion! That case is put together quite differently than my 4404 but I see that he did use a press to get that output bearing out. I actually answered my own question and got both the seal and bearing and the bushing along with its seal out very easily with a punch and some fine tuned tapping with a small ball peen hammer plus I got lucky and found a large round piece of metal that fit the seal almost perfectly to tap it out evenly. I am going to use the old bearing as a cushion to tap the new bearing in gently. The only question I have now is if anyone knows if the seal that goes with the bushing has been upgraded from the stock version. The seal kit I bought for the 4404 came with 2 of the exact same seals that the bearing side has so Im good there but the larger seal for the bushing size looks quite a bit different but it is the same diameter and seems like it would work. I wonder if this is a newer/better design to help seal against the shaft better or if its maybe for a different part of the transfer case. The only exploded views I have been able to find are not nearly detailed enough to answer this question. I will post a few new pics of what Im talking about. The new seal I have for the bushing side has an extra rubber lip on it plus some brass/copper inside it that the old one doesn't have but it looks like it will fit in just fine.

Thanks for the help and reference to that other thread!

I broke my rear case because no one really points out YOU NEED TO OPEN (spread apart) A SNAP RING TO REMOVE SUN GEAR!!!!!!! this guy shows a photo of the rear case and he states and I quote, "All internal components removed without the need of tools. Just slides apart.",
WRONG! YOU MUST OPEN THAT SNAP RING HIDING DEEP DOWN IN THE CAVITY! as shown in my photo, I find so many post of taking this BW440 apart without any detail how to remove the bearings!!!

PLUS! you dont need to remove the center console to remove the transfer case!! my god this is tragic info!!!

See those little prongs at the bottom of the case? (see photo below) You need to spread those apart, so that you can get the rear output shaft out.
It's a PITA to get the rear output shaft back in. Because again, you need to pry that clip open.

Untitledxxxx.jpg Untitledaaaa.jpg

I broke my rear case because no one really points out YOU NEED TO OPEN (spread apart) A SNAP RING TO REMOVE SUN GEAR!!!!!!! this guy shows a photo of the rear case and he states and I quote, "All internal components removed without the need of tools. Just slides apart.",
WRONG! YOU MUST OPEN THAT SNAP RING HIDING DEEP DOWN IN THE CAVITY! as shown in my photo, I find so many post of taking this BW440 apart without any detail how to remove the bearings!!!

PLUS! you dont need to remove the center console to remove the transfer case!! my god this is tragic info!!!

See those little prongs at the bottom of the case? (see photo below) You need to spread those apart, so that you can get the rear output shaft out.
It's a PITA to get the rear output shaft back in. Because again, you need to pry that clip open.

View attachment 439309 View attachment 439310
welcome to EF! thanks for the info.

Back