How realiable are V8 explorers? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How realiable are V8 explorers?

This thread is exactly what I was looking for. For the last year or so I've been without an Ex and lately I've been missing it more than ever. When I started browsing to see how much a used 2nd gen was going for I noticed a fair amount of the 302's for sale. Thats when I decided I want my next Ex to be the V8, still undecided on 2wd or AWD though. I can now shop with confidence for the big V8 EX's!!!

Thanks guys!

Many are worried about, or fear, the AWD. If used sensibly, the V-8 AWD Expl. lasts very long, drivetrain-wise. I just did front suspension work on a '98which had 148K, never been touched, ran beautifully.

Regarding the 302, it is/was one of Ford's best efforts. Built for over 40 years! I like it because it uses time-proven OHV concepts with simple rocker arms, no drive chains, tensioners, rubbing-blocks, etc. Unfortunately, EPA likes more emissions-free designs better! imp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Many are worried about, or fear, the AWD. If used sensibly, the V-8 AWD Expl. lasts very long, drivetrain-wise. I just did front suspension work on a '98which had 148K, never been touched, ran beautifully.

Regarding the 302, it is/was one of Ford's best efforts. Built for over 40 years! I like it because it uses time-proven OHV concepts with simple rocker arms, no drive chains, tensioners, rubbing-blocks, etc. Unfortunately, EPA likes more emissions-free designs better! imp

I also like the versatility of the 302. Having an option put headers with real gains, mustang throttle body, maybe a dual exhaust and dare I say supercharger lol. Not to mention running larger tires is much easier with the power and not having to regear( if you're going to 36 or larger ) the v8 won't even know they are there.

Since the issue is the trans I will put my two cents worth in, I recently bought a 2000 EB w/awd that had a burnt up trans, that's why I got it cheap. The kicker here is that it still had the factory dipstick plug in the pan so I know the pan had never been off and the only reason the transmission was damaged was someone replaced the radiator and didn't get the cooler line fittings tight and it leaked the fluid out - and this at 236,400 ,miles!

yeah, the transmission is basically an upgraded AOD with wide gear-set. AOD was used for quite some time in half-tons, so it's plenty stout to support the Explorer.

my '97 has about 190k miles on it. Transmission had to get rebuilt, I believe it was due to sucking in water. Breather wasn't/isn't in the best place for water crossings! Other than that, no major issues on mine, and it had been abused.

Thanks guys! I have noticed that all the ones that have been rebuilt are in awd explorers. I have talked the owner down to $3000 but no it's just a matter me saying yes or no

Buy it!!! Or I will lol

281,014 in my v8 4x4 runs like a top ;)

Dunno bout the arguements on the '01 2Wd model...But I'm very happy with my '97 V8 AWD.

And I just took it on a 4 hour trip yesterday and the mileage surprised me...way better than puttin round town...darn near 20...woot!

i like to say shes lunar, traveled the distance to the moon and on the way back..

My 96 5.0 has 296,000 Miles on the clock and still going strong. no problems, except for the recalls. I bought it from my mom and she babied it.

Just an FYI cause i am now in this boat. The 99 on up 5.0 Explorers got a different fuel pressure regulator. In the 99 on up gets a Fuel Pressure Dampener which connects to the fuel rail. this part is no longer made from Ford and there are no after market parts available. I am in the process of finding this in junk yards but to find one that works properly is tough.

Up till now though mine has run like a champ. Just needs the minor maintenace stuff done.

They'll never build em like this again.

Absolutely correct...

Perfect physical size, perfect balance of cargo and people capacity, capable, and incredibly well built.

Back