How to: 3rd Gen BODY LIFT. Install. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Almost done with my 3inch body lift, just in time to get my 3inch kit from roadbully, ill have pics up when it gets done...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Almost done with my 3inch body lift, just in time to get my 3inch kit from roadbully, ill have pics up when it gets done...

Sweet, throw up some pics when you're done. :thumbsup:

did you go with 3" spacers both front and rear??? Or are you going for a leveled out look?

i absolutely can not get the rear bumper cover back on...

The bumper cover and/or pad? Is the spare out? What specifically is the issue?

i absolutely can not get the rear bumper cover back on...

If you can post a picture of the situation, maybe we can notice what's wrong.
I apologize for the dumb question, but you have raised the bumper itself right?

i did the bumper flip idea mentioned before, and ya its the bumper cover and pad. i notched out some of that black padding to make room for the parts that looked like they were hitting. im just wondering what the difference is between mine and everyone elses.

ya the black styrofoam stuff, i had to cut out some of it because it was hitting where the loops are on the trailer hitch, im open for any other ideas on how to get this to work.

the clips on the side...

The black Styrofoam pad? There should be no difference... I'm not familiar with the bumper flip, I'll look at that.

I only see where that was done on a Mounty... are there Exs with the flip also? I don't see any pics. The shape and angle of the Ex bumper should require at least some trimming to allow it to fit if you flip it...

Did you also flip the brackets that the bumper snaps onto on both isdes?

Attachments

• IMGA0625.JPG
    IMGA0625.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 2,580

The black Styrofoam pad? There should be no difference... I'm not familiar with the bumper flip, I'll look at that.

I only see where that was done on a Mounty... are there Exs with the flip also? I don't see any pics. The shape and angle of the Ex bumper should require at least some trimming to allow it to fit if you flip it...

Did you also flip the brackets that the bumper snaps onto on both isdes?

There was no need to flip any brackets that the bumper snaps into.
For mine, I didn't flip the bumper, but after raising everything 3" everything fit perfect... I think we need some advise from the one guy that's done this whole "flip" thing, guitarfrk741, any ideas?

im assuming your talking about the rear bumper...all i did was flip the bumper upside down and put it back on...all i have to do now is drill new holes in the frame to re mount it..

here's a pic of how it looks upside down
bumper.jpg

i don't think this will work if you have the bigger hitch though

I do have the full size hitch with the chain loops at the bottom (before flip) and the stock 7 pin connector...

There was no need to flip any brackets that the bumper snaps into.
For mine, I didn't flip the bumper, but after raising everything 3" everything fit perfect... I think we need some advise from the one guy that's done this whole "flip" thing, guitarfrk741, any ideas?

His bumper is also different... it's a Mounty. It looks sharp!

Hey djbrown i did the bumper flip for my 02 XLT after the body lift and all i had to do was trim some of the styrofoam stuff and once that was out of the way everything else fit perfectly. I'm not sure exactly where you're running into problems so feel free to ask me any questions about it.

it seems like the part of the plastic cover is hitting on the frame, pretty much the bottom of the cover towards the inside hitting the frame where the hitch/bumper mounts

I just went out and checked mine, and i never realized this until now but the plastic cover on my bumper is doing the same thing. Mine is just bent out a little bit at the mount point of the bumper but still fits. If you could, take a pic of the part of your bumper that is hitting so i can tell exactly what part you're talking about.

Sorry guys i've been preparing for the now category5 hurricane heading staight at me haha

but yeah i cant be positive but if i had to guess the reason it wont go on right is probably because you have a fullsize hitch..because other than that it should work fine as long as it's all the way on

it seems like the part of the plastic cover is hitting on the frame, pretty much the bottom of the cover towards the inside hitting the frame where the hitch/bumper mounts

sorry didnt see this post.. the mount that connects to the frame does push a little on the lower lip of the bumper but it shouldn't be so much that you cant get it on

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

in my struggle, i got one side connected but something wasnt allowing it to connect on to the other side or match up with the rear of the hatch area (under the hatch door where those black plugs go in) its like 1/4 inch away..

Back