How to: 4x4 high in a 95-96 4x4 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 4x4 high in a 95-96 4x4 Explorer

Hartman said:
Maybe it is possible that since the pics are taken from a 98 that the colors are different in a 95-96?

The wire is definately brown. It is in there, you just have to find it:) It is also the largest wire in the bunch. Have you removed the AC vents?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

justin146 said:
The wire is definately brown. It is in there, you just have to find it:) It is also the largest wire in the bunch. Have you removed the AC vents?

yes i think you can see in my pics the vent is out..just like the first pics posted. i pushed my fingers thru the whole bunch and i coudlent find anything...i got pretty pissed by the end of it so i may just say screw the whole thing..and not worry about it..lol :confused:

96limitedX said:
yes i think you can see in my pics the vent is out..just like the first pics posted. i pushed my fingers thru the whole bunch and i coudlent find anything...i got pretty pissed by the end of it so i may just say screw the whole thing..and not worry about it..lol :confused:

None of your pictures are working for me.

The pics are working for me....

FWIW, I can't say that I've done it on a '95 or '96, so I can only go by the words of others and the schematics I have access to. To the best of my knowledge, it's never been anything other than a brown wire. It's possible that it's been re-routed through another bundle, but again, I would have no way of knowing it.

What you might want to do, (and the way I found the splice) is start by looking on the right side of that same opening for the Torque On Demand relay. The TOD relay will have 5 or 6 wires coming out of it, and is on the right side of the opening, behind the airbag. (I'll try to get the color codes tomorrow when I get to work) Follow that brown wire across, and you should be able to find the slice. That's my best suggestion....

The switch in the picture will work just fine. You will need to wire it up the way that's drawn in the sketch in the original post. Disregard the info on the back of the package.

For those looking for a somewhat nicer switch, www.waytekwire.com sells some nice contoured rockers. Some of their nicer ones are made by Carling Technologies, who custom-manufactured some of mine. They're ultra-high-quality and will last forever.

-Joe

The first gens also have a brown wire for the tcase, crawl under the truck and looker for a brown wire going thru the back of the tcase seperate from the shift motor.

The wire is brown on my 95. The splice cover is black and very large. It took me a while to find the brown wire that ran out the end of the black splice cover.

when you cut the wire that goes to the drivers side the TCC i belive you attach a wire to that and then a wire to the other side of the wire that you cut or from a random sample of the brown wire? Also on the switch pic that you have I got the 12v part and then it gets crazy, the existing brown wire on the top terminal is froma random wire sample and then you take the two wires that you have that run off of your splices and then attach them to the terminals? Thanks i dont want to have these questions with my dash appart

hey 96limited try looking under the seat for a brown wire that is another sample that i have read that people with 4x4 auto 4hi and lo use as the interupter point

My 95 has a brown wire.....I think it should work haha. We'll find out Monday. (I'll confirm with you guys that are having issues also from a 95 stand point).

Now, just to make sure *I* understand this. since I'm a newb when it comes to electrical mods.

I have my switch like this (when I install it)

ON - 4wd mode (4auto becomes 4hi, 4low stays 4low, 2wd stays 2wd)

OFF - 2wd mode (2wd stays 2wd high, and 4auto becomes 2low)

ON - Normal Mode (2wd, 4auto, 4low)

Is that correct? I'm just trying to piece together the relation between the toggle and the drive selector so I KNOW what mode I am in, LED's would be a great idea also....hmm time to figure that out after I figure out the relationship of the selector knob and the toggle.
Also what advantages does 2wd low have over standard? Other than limiting rpm's?

Almost correct....

ON-- 2wd is still 2wd (since the front axle is disengaged), 4auto is 4 hi, and 4 low is 4 low.

OFF-- 2wd is 2wd, 4auto is 2wd (but the front axle is locked in), and 4 low becomes 2 low.

ON-- Normal mode.

Got it? Good!

It's amazing how adding a switch multiplies the number of possible operating conditions. We control freaks love it!!

-Joe

Ok, that is exactly what I needed to know =) Now to buy a on off on dual led switch like we use on the ambulance so I know what mode I'm in and I'm set to do this =) BTW To you guys that question it, I just looked and found it (took less than 10 minutes) 95's DO have a brown wire, just gotta dig.

So what's the advantage of 2low?

Same here limited. With the coming snow, 4high would be wonderful. I hate the unpredictable auto kicking in when it wants, then scares me when it decides to run the front (my first 4wd vehicle, still new to the feelings it gives haha)

it just causes me to spin when the light turns green. the rears cant get enough traction..then they spin the fronts kick in and then they both spin. i would like it all alocked together.

FreeWheelin4x4 said:

Making a tight turn on a rocky trail, pulling shrubs without tearing up the lawn (or having to go back to 4auto to make tight turns without tearing up the lawn), backing a heavy trailer into a tight spot up-hill.... just to name a few...

-Joe

96limitedX said:
it just causes me to spin when the light turns green. the rears cant get enough traction..then they spin the fronts kick in and then they both spin. i would like it all alocked together.

if you are using the 4hi for launching/racing purposes, you WILL break the TC. I can promise you the front tires arent spinning on dry pavement in 4auto....maybe if you have the wheels turned.

so on the switch you get one with 3 prongs 2 acc's and one 12v(power) the wires for the acc are the two sides of the cut that you mader and then the 12v is a constant such as off of your cigarette lighter? And when enganging with out a relay(i have no idea hoiw to put a relay in), yiou can be moving but switch to 4 auto then switch the switch to the up position for 4 hi? and then you can have it in the other on position with out it in 4auto?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FreeWheelin4x4 said:

isnt 2 lo just in first gear? Selected on the colum

Back