how to eliminate the push button 4wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to eliminate the push button 4wd

nickrahn

Reaction score
City, State
Loganville, Wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer 4x4
Hey Guys,
I got the manual hubs for my 92 explorer off eBay for $91 before shipping:D that included the conversion kit. I am waiting for my special socket before I do this quick and easy conversion.
I am wondering though, going from auto hubs to manual will give me more confidence in knowing when the wheels are locked in or not. I am curious if there is a way to eliminate the push button 4wd and shift motor and go with the floor mounted stick that one would use to shift from 2wd to 4wd and 4 low. The hubs I got are the factory manual hubs, made by Warn for Ford. I could be wrong but didn't that gen also have the manual 4wd shift not an electric one? And would the manual shift 4wd be in the way of the shifter? I have a 92 Eddie Bauer with the 5 speed stick. Any help would be awesome! Thanks, God Bless.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea it should be do able i've seen a couple members on here that have it

I figured it was available from factory that way so I should be able to do it. I was wondering what was involved and the parts needed.

You would need to swap the whole transfercase from your electric to a manual one.

I would like to do that too but not willing to out the money into a swap like that for this little explorer. I always prefer functional over fancy. And these glorified Windshield Washer motors to shift the transfer case is down right silly.
My daughters Blazer has the same deal. These motors and hubs are big failure points.
My Jeep and Chevy Truck have all manual and have never failed me. While the much newer Explorer and Blazer are always questionable and both have given me issues.

well, that sounds expensive and exciting! I don't think I want to do all that, I guess I will have to buy a new shift motor. 4 high works but 4 low don't seem to. At least I know the manual hubs won't be a problem.

Do a SEARCH for Transfer case shift motor. There is some cleaning that can be done on a Circuit board that might get you back in business.

I have seen a conversion on here on a 2nd gen a guy used an electric shift transfer case but took off the motor and rigged up a manual lever to control it. If you do some searching you may find it that's how I accidentally found it before.

You will need the manual T-case, floorplate and boot, and shift linkage from a donor vehicle. Very few explorers came this way, but some rangers and bronco IIs were fitted with the option. Search your local junkyards you may get lucky. There should be no interference with your trans shifter. You will be looking for a Borg Warner 13-54 case. The numbers are cast into the housing so its fairly easy to identify.

Make sure to get a T case shifter for a MANUAL tranny.

well, that sounds expensive and exciting! I don't think I want to do all that, I guess I will have to buy a new shift motor. 4 high works but 4 low don't seem to. At least I know the manual hubs won't be a problem.

if 4 high works then i cant imagine 4 low not working but i suppose its possible. make sure it's in neutral with foot on brake before trying to put it in 4 low or it won't work.

thanks. I think I will just get a new shift motor eventually. I guess if 4 high works its good enough.

You sure that you had your foot on the brake when you were trying to engage the 4 low?
If your shift motor is not working there is a thread in here that shows you step by step a very easy proceadure to rebuild your motor.
OR,
I have two that Ive already gone through that I'll sell you for WAY cheaper than you'll find anywhere else. IMHO the electic shift when functioning properly is awsome. With or without manual hubs. I used to like customising all my stuff, but now I take pride in making everything function as it was designed.
I know Im a dork..:salute:

It works on mine but I have yet to get in a place I need it..... 4 hi carries me everywhere I need to go

There wouldn't be any way to just swap the manual linkage from one with a manual T/C to an auto T/C? You have to change out the entire T/C? From pictures I've seen side-by-side it looks like the manual linkage has the same bolt-pattern on the back as the motor, it is just mechanical, am I wrong?

I have two that Ive already gone through that I'll sell you for WAY cheaper than you'll find anywhere else.

How much would you want for a rebuild shift motor that works good if I send you my old one after you send me the good one?

I have 4 hi engaged and then push clutch in, foot on brake, trans in neutral, push the four low button and 4wd lite goes off and that's all that happens.

You would need to swap the whole transfercase from your electric to a manual one.

Bill, don't you know something about the McNeil mod for the pull up lever behind the driver seat? Is that for the electronic shift TC?

Depending on how dirty you want to go. I'm sure you can improvise and come up with a lever that fits on the TCase shaft. All that motor does is rotate a shaft. Not sure how far back the TCase is located as compared to the Seats in the car. It would look stupid having a Lever sticking up in the backseat foot well. BUT you can count on it shifting into 4WD when you need it :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Older thread but just incase any one later would like to know. The 93 XLT 4 door could also be had with the Manual 4 x 4 shifter. In fact that was one of my must haves when I was looking for one to buy!

So I must have a rarity. Factory Manual hubs but now changed to Warn hubs. Manual 4 x 4 shifter and a bucket bench front seat with folding center arm rest with storage box.

Now to find the place and cash to do Spring over and solid front axel. Then camo paint job. Then it's Redneck hauling for me LMAO!

Back