• Register Today It's free!

How to fix P0193 code

SouthernSAR

Reaction score
City, State
Naples, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer ST XLS
I'll start by saying that this is a really easy fix and can be done by almost anyone, even people who have never fixed anything on their vehicles by themselves. Now, on with the show!

Tools you'll need:
-T30 torx bit (and driver)
-Rag(s)
-Maybe pliers (I didn't need them)

Now, the P0193 code means that you have a bad Fuel Rail Pressure and Temperature Sensor. These can be obtained from numerous places including dealerships. I got mine from RockAuto.com for a small fee of $65.79. Part numbers for the ones Rock Auto sells are 5S7254 and FPS5. The parts look like this:
2uxvhhw.jpg

and can be found on the fuel rail here:
fcv4fl.jpg

This is what it looks like in your vehicle:
efhp1s.jpg

You can start by either unplugging everything and then unscrewing the sensor or you can unscrew the sensor then unplug it. I found it easier to unscrew then unplug it. The electrical plug on the back has a little tab that you push down on the top and it pulls right off. The hose also pulls right off.

Now once you've got the little bugger unscrewed, it'll take a little force to get it out. I didn't clear the rail before I pulled it and as a result a little fuel spilled out into the engine compartment, nothing major though. That's what the rags are for.
Clean mounting point:
29osffc.jpg

Next just take your new part, make sure it is clean (the fuel rail should also be clean) and plug it in and screw it down. Voila! Clean up, turn on the engine, check to make sure it runs and that the sensor isn't leaking fuel. Maybe even take your vehicle for a test drive. You'll still have to manually clear the code, or just live with the CEL until it turns itself off.

Old vs New:
sxerlx.jpg

If I missed anything let me know! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice how-to.

Thank you =D

Well I don't have the Sport Trac, but got here through a Google search for a definitive answer on the P0193 problem & found it very helpful, so I'll throw in my two cents for anyone who finds this the same way I came across the thread...

Watch out for the right instructions, on my V6 you torque the sensor to 53 in-lbs as in the illustration you provided. What did I do? Inadvertently followed the instructions I printed out, for the V8. 89 in-lbs. Got nervous the tighter I got with the screws, & came inside to google it, I felt I was doing something wrong... Glad I did! Moral of the story: make sure you're not reading the wrong section....

Southern you never mentioned the Intake Manifold... And I see why, from the photos you took, looks like the Sport Trac FRPS is very accessible, at least, it looks like your manifold is unmolested! Lucky. Regular '04 Expl XLT w/4.0, not so much. Intake Manifold sits over the FRPS rendering it barely visible, much less accessible. Have to remove it to get at it. Frustrating, especially considering you can't very well check it for leaks without putting it all back together and smelling for gas, 'cause you sure can't see it. Also makes it rather less easy than yours- it reminded me unpleasantly of changing the rear plugs in my Sable- as I was climbing on the engine to get at the manifold bolts near the firewall, by touch...

When I ordered the price of sensor was pushing $80 w/shipping, both on RockAuto & Amazon. And then another $12 or so for new intake manifold o-rings.

Got all back together, then no-start. New codes P2104/P2112. Turned out to be the throttle position sensor, on mine it's right there by the EGR, & between my whaling on the EGR pipe to get it back in the valve, then having to use a crescent adj. wrench to try and tighten the flare nut (potentially banging against the TPS in the process with every turn of the wrench) I must have finished it off**. So look out for that, non-Sport Trac owners. Or to make more room to put the egr pipe back on, you might want to separate the throttle body from the intake when you remove it. I would do that if I ever have the bad luck to replace the FRPS again.

(**-In my case I say 'finished off', in regards to the TPS, since in retrospect & how much better the truck drives now, I begin to think the TPS was on its way out, anyway. Throttle response & smoothness is much better than it was even before the FRPS threw a code...)

nice thats easier than i thought just wish i could add an adjustabe in there

Sensor vacuum hose connector, not being in place, would also give this code? Thank you for your how to I been looking everywhere for where that little hose went...thanks once again... I'll connect tomorrow and see what happens still plan on changing sensor and fuel filter ....

Back