How to install an aftermarket deck into a 1995-1997 Ex with external amp | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to install an aftermarket deck into a 1995-1997 Ex with external amp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you guys think i need to disconnect my battery before i connect the Remote Amp Turn-On wire to the Power antenna wire?

ill take that as a no... i was just worried i might blow a fuse

Just used this thread to install my Pioneer 3200UB :cool:

Glad it helped! :)

Spreck- sorry man, I didn't see your question before. Did you get 'er hooked up?

The 70 5600 won't fit my 96 Eddie bauer the power supplyfits but bot the audio

Does your Eddie Bauer have a sub? If so, that is not the correct harness. Premium sound does not include a sub, the JBL system has a sub, and requires a different harness.

Do you know the exact harness the JBL system requires then for a aftermarket HU.

Yeah, that's the one I looked at before and was just sketchy on buying it if it's the wrong one.

Any guides on how to bypass the factory amp? I have no idea how to run the wires from the back of the explorer to the front to the dashboard.
Thanks

If you have to bypass from there, aka the unit is blown, just run new wires to the doors. If the amp isn't blown, use a harness- WAY easier.

If you have to bypass from there, aka the unit is blown, just run new wires to the doors. If the amp isn't blown, use a harness- WAY easier.

I'm already using an harness that integrates the factory amp with the new receiver. The factory amp is horrible and won't take advantage of the new speakers. I don't think running wires from the head unit to the speakers is an good idea, that's also a lot of wiring to do.

I'm going to tackle the bypass harness tomorrow, and see how it goes. Might as well vacuum the whole inside while I take apart the whole car.

Why wouldn't running new leads from the head unit to the speakers be a good idea? Stereo shops do it every day. Larger leads to better handle load from more powerful stereos, and eliminating the 14+ year old thin wiring in a '97 Ex making a clean install sounds pretty good to me. If you're getting new speakers, to go with a new head unit, and worried about the crappy stock amp handling power, why not replace the wires at the same time since you already said the whole truck will be apart?

Thanks!

Everything was working on my new Sony double din stereo I was putting in my 1997 Ford Ranger, except for 1 important thing...the audio! Thanks a bunch for the tip about the amp! It really helped.

Back