How to install Rancho shock boots? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to install Rancho shock boots?

funcrew

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4X4
My Rancho 5000 rear shocks came with red rubber accordion boots. It appears that you are supposed to remove the mounting flange from the upper end of the shock to get the boot on. However, it looks impossible to get the mounting flange out of the rubber bushing.

Q: Do I need the boot?

Q: How do you get the boot on the shock?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DON'T USE BOOTS! They only trap junk in them, you don't need them.

Well I think they can keep stuff off the shock and I use them. Mine just slid on and I wire tied them at the bottom.

Thanks - I installed mine without boots. The OEM Ford factory shocks with 100K miles had the compressive resistance of a wet noodle. Also removed the rear sway bar and diff-to-frame damper. My wife noticed a handling improvement already, even with the OEM front shocks not done yet.

When i installed my 9000x's boots, i just slowly worked them on. They stretch, and won't rip. Smooth out the accordian folds, and you should be all set. Try angling the boots, and working slowly. Don't take any mounting brackets off the shock!

Back