How to operate belt auto-tensioner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to operate belt auto-tensioner

pet575

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Limited
I need to change an idler pulley and the serpentine belt.

How does the auto-tensioner operate so that I can do this?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It works by way of wound spring steel which is attached to the tensioner arm.

getimage.php

Kinda figured it was something like that. How do I go about relieving the tension so that I can get the serpentine belt off/back on?

Thanks!

You might look on the upper core support. On all my Explorers (no 3rd gen, so not sure if yours will be same) there is a label showing the serpentine belt routing, as well as where the wrench goes and which direction to move it to loosen tension.

If you have a HF near you - get one of these tools:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66344

I released the tension off the belt with a breaker bar - barely enough room to get it on, let alone off... This appears to be a skinny one and would easily fit between the fan and pully tensioner.

The size of adapter you will need is 1/2 inch.

Changing the belt takes maybe 5 minutes...not sure about the tensioner though.

Agree...not a ton of room in there between the fan and tensioner arm. I used a breaker bar as well. Going to harbor freight and get that tool. Good find!

If you have a 4.6L...to relieve the tension on the drive belt, you need to insert a 1/2" drive breaker bar (or the above mentioned tool) into the square hole in the center of the idler pulley. Once it's in there, rotate the tool toward the driver's side. That will lower the idler pulley enough to remove the belt. Three bolts are the only thing holding the tensioner arm to the block.

Accessory Drive Belt, Tensioner and Pulley
Removal and Installation

To remove individual components, carry out only the listed steps.

Component Steps
Accessory drive belt 1
Accessory drive belt tensioner 1-3

Remove the components in the order indicated in the following illustration and table.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Item Part Number Description
1 8620 Accessory drive belt (Removal Note Below)
2 N808920 Accessory drive belt tensioner bolts (3 req'd)
3 6B209 Accessory drive belt tensioner

Item 1: Accessory Drive Belt Removal Note

Rotate the tensioner clockwise and remove the drive belt.

Wish I could get the pics in here to show you but I cant' figure out how to do that. Sorry.

Hoo-Rah. Stopped by HF and picked one up. Funny thing is...I can't go into that place without spending $100. I only wanted one $20 tool and came out with $113 worth of "stuff" I didn't know that I needed.

KRWebster, I feel your pain! :splat: HF is like Freaking Disney Land. I leave my wallet in the ex and only bring in enough to get what I went in there for. It doesn't work, I always go out and grab the wallet. :crazy: Somebody hit me with a hammer! :hammer:

Going to HF tomorrow to get the Serpentine Tool. Hopefully I will have rent money when I leave!

If you don't want to buy the tool I know Advance Auto Part stores rents the tool for free all you have to do is put a deposit down on it and then you get all your money back when you return it.

Thanks all for the advice. On this particular tensioner, the tool was not even necessary. A long-handled 3/4" chuck ratchet moved the tensioner just fine.

Glad the ratchet set up worked for you. That tensioner tool isn't a necessity so much as a "nice to have". Having used a ratchet many times.

BigRondo: Used mine for the first time today when I had to replace both the belt and tensioner assembly on the 4.6L. Awesome tool. If you have to use the extension with the 1/2" drive just be sure to wrap some duct tape around it to keep it in place. Other than that...it rocks. Oh how the simple things in life make a simple guy like me happy.

Cool deal. I gotta change my belt. I haven't got to HF yet. But it's nice to know it works! I agree with simple things making me happy too. :biggthump

Any idea how to do this on a 97 with a 5.0L V8? I just seem to have pulleys, with no visible way to adjust them. Had to replace the alternator, and can't get the damned belt back on! Until then, I'm dead in the water (or driveway).

You're posting in the 2002-2005 section, you'd have more luck getting the right answer in the correct section of the forum.

Having said that, I'd think you'd almost have to have a tensioner with a serpentine belt. Look again, or check a Haynes manual.

Mike

Oops, came across the post via a search, didn't realize it was the 2002-2005 section. Managed to get it on, but I think I'm ordering that tool from Harbor Freight anyway...

That serpentine belt tool that everyone has mentioned is available for rent for free at Autozone as well. I know the tool is short money at harbor freight, but for those of us that use that tool once every other year I'll find something else to spend my $20 on.

Thanks a ton for the posts though. I didn't even know such a tool existed when I started on my wife's '04 last night. I was having a heck of a time try to get the 1/2" breaker between the fan and the tensioner. Ya'll's advice helped make quick work of a Gatorback belt and Goodyear tensioner swap on both the Explorer and my F150.

Back