How to replace a power steering pump? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to replace a power steering pump?

jwrezz

Elite Snow Shoveler
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Parsippany, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
I was subscribed to a thread about power steering, but my question went un-answered. So:

Has any one replaced their power steering pump? On a Gen. 2 explorer? OHV V6?

I was just looking for some pointers. Can I take it out w/ out taking off the AC compressor? Can I take it out before removing the pulley? Is pulley removal, and replacement a major pain?

Thanx for any help any one can offer.

Well, Not sure about the AC ?? But I Believe U can! But on the Pulley ?? Yes U can remove the Pulley with the Pump Off of the Motor.. U will need a Puller Thou!! U can get one from Auto Zone.. And In my Experience it has been Easier with a Air Gun..

Just unbolt the pump, drainthe fluid, release thebelt and take the whole thing down to your auto parts place (Car Quest/Napa) they can usually pull the pulley off your old pump and press it on the new one for you.

Do you have the Haynes or Chiltons book for your truck?

I have the chiltons book. Not here at work, but from what I remember its said to take off the pulley first, then remove the bracket, and then the pump from the bracket. It looks like the pump will just drop down if I can get those 3 bolts off. I can see it clearly from the fender thanx to the body lift. So it should be easy enough to get it out. I should have access to a full shop this wknd so the pulley shouldn't be a big problem. I just wonder how the "tool" (which is just a bolt that goes into the shaft, and a nut and washer on that bolt that push the pulley on) will not put any pressure on the shaft.

Back