• Register Today It's free!

How to Replace Door Lock Striker

jweb1369

Reaction score
City, State
Panama City, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
Tired of your old broken/chipped door lock strikers? Do they look like this or worse?

2011-10-16_16-19-01_989.jpg

Okay so after buying the Dorman Help! door lock striker bushing kit (O'Reilly has them for around $4.00), I found out that it is only for the tailgate and not the doors. I searched around on this forum and found some good suggestions. There were no actual write ups with pictures so I thought I'd do one.

Here is what you'll need:

- Socket Wrench
- Star (Torx) Sockets
- Some form of 1/2" x 3/8" rubber hose or tubing

Here is what I got from Home Depot ($3.37 with tax):

2011-10-16_16-22-16_834.jpg

2011-10-16_16-21-45_641.jpg

Loosen the striker bolt and unscrew it from the vehicle with the star socket and socket wrench. It may be on there really tight from age. I had to use a medium-large sized socket wrench to get my passenger side off.

Once you have it off, use the bolt or the old bushing as a size reference for the new one you're going to make. Cut a piece of the tubing to fit. You can heat the cut piece with a lighter to make it more flexible. Don't heat it too much, the rubber will melt and lose integrity.

Put it on the bolt.

2011-10-16_16-25-13_235.jpg

Squeeze it down. You can use your fingers (kind of hurts when you get to the second one), or you can use the side of a screw driver as you would your finger nail and press it down.

2011-10-16_16-25-45_341.jpg

You might need to heat it up a few more times as you work it down. Just try not to heat it too much. Just enough to make it warm. Oh and don't do this on your seat, I just did this to snap a picture.

2011-10-16_16-29-42_534.jpg

Then screw the bolt back in with the back piece or bracket, and you're all done!

2011-10-16_16-18-27_167.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wished I had read this 2 months ago. I wrapped all of mine with black electrical tape with a touch of crazy glue. Ya' got a big :biggthump from me.

But, the question is, How long will it last?

But, the question is, How long will it last?

It should last for a while. Maybe not as long as stock, but it is rubber and not hard plastic. The flexibility of the rubber should make it able to withstand more hits, at least I think. I will let you know how it wears.

It should last for a while. Maybe not as long as stock, but it is rubber and not hard plastic. The flexibility of the rubber should make it able to withstand more hits, at least I think. I will let you know how it wears.
Yeah, that is my thinking. The vinyl is not as durable as the factory material. And the above poster comment about Pex makes sense to me. Anything is worth a try if your door is loose. Please let us know how it works.

Try some PEX, it is very tough.

I couldn't find the PEX. Is it in the irrigation aisle in Home Depot? What is it used for (where would I find it)?

I couldn't find the PEX. Is it in the irrigation aisle in Home Depot? What is it used for (where would I find it)?

PEX is used for plumbing (water supply), so you are getting close.

Back