How to: Replace Interior Door Handle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Replace Interior Door Handle

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...I broke my Interior Door Handle due to age, heat, and it just getting wore out...This was the drivers side rear door that I replaced on my first gen X...
door_handle_001.jpg

...After removing the door panel (white dust plastic cover sheet does not need to be removed. Mine was removed by previous owner), this is what you will have to work with...There are 2 screws you will have to remove...
door_handle_002.jpg

..The other one will be found on the bottom rear, under the foam dust boot...
door_handle_003.jpg

..After removing the 2 screws, take a flat head screw driver and insert it in the opening at the rear of the handle...
door_handle_004.jpg

...and then just pry the handle forward...
door_handle_005.jpg

...Care should be taken while removing and re-inserting the handle...There are 2 tongue's (top and bottom) that need to be inserted into the notch of the door as seen here...
door_handle_006.jpg

..You then just need to remove the handle off this little hook end...
...Note: Your handle actually pushes this bar toward the door latch. It is common to find the rod bent or this hook broke off...
door_handle_007.jpg

...When re-installing the handle after re-attaching the hook to the new door handle, and after getting the top and bottom tongue's pushed into the notches on the door, care should be taken when sliding the handle back into place...There are 2 tabs at the rear that need to also slide into the door panel itself...Meaning, thre are 4 tabs you need to be sure are installed properly...;)
door_handle_010.jpg

...That is it...Install your 2 screws, your door panel, and you are done...:salute:

...For an added bonus, here is a picture inside the door itself, showing where the rod meets the latch mechanism...Enjoy...:D
door_handle_009.jpg

Back