• Register Today It's free!

how to replace speakers in '04

tjmc25

Reaction score
City, State
western, wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Very new here, sorry if this has been answered a thousand times. But how do you remove the factory speakers in an 04 explorer? Do the grills just come off or do I have to remove the whole door panel, and if so how?

Very new here, sorry if this has been answered a thousand times. But how do you remove the factory speakers in an 04 explorer? Do the grills just come off or do I have to remove the whole door panel, and if so how?

You have to remove the whole panel. I have an 04 xlt. The panel around the door release lever comes off. Very carefully. If memory serves me correct you need to pry on it from the hinge side. Be careful....the clips might break if you pull too hard. I assume you have power windows locks etc. If you do then you need to unplug and remove the control panel for that stuff. I broke one of the clips that holds that in. Please be careful with that. It seemed to work best for me by lifting on the control panel from the side right against the door panel. After you get that panel off there's a screw behind it that you can see. That one comes out. Then there are I believe two more at the bottom of the panel also. Sfter that lift up on the panel and it will come right off. Let me know if I confused you. I think I took pics somewhere. I'll try and find them if needed.

thank you very much....

I actually got it all figured out from an old post. But I appreciate the time and effort you took to post. Im not into huge sound or anything I just needed something better than the factory speakers, and didnt really want to drop 80 bucks to have them put in.

Back