How to: Replace Steering Wheel Buttons on a 98-01 Ford Explorer! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Replace Steering Wheel Buttons on a 98-01 Ford Explorer!

willzilla

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT AWD
Does your steering wheel cruise control buttons in your 95-01 Ford Explorer look like a broken sad mess? Sticky, nasty, or completely MIA?? No problem! Get those old and busted buttons out and the new hotness buttons in place quickly and easily!

The replacement of these steering wheel cruise control buttons is the same (with the same part and procedure) in a wide number of vehicles:

* Ford Explorer (98-02)
* Ford Explorer Sport (01-03)
* Ford Explorer Sport Trac (01-05)
* Ford Ranger (98-03)
* Ford F150 Harley Davidson Edition (01-03)
* Ford F150 Lightning (99-04)
* Mercury Mountaineer (98-01)
* Mazda B3000 (95-03)

Item(s) in Video:

* RCruise Control Switch Kit, Steering Wheel Mounted Cruise Control Buttons Assembly with Cable, Compatible with Ford Explorer Sport Trac Ranger F150 Lightning Mazda Accessories Parts - https://amzn.to/3DHgDcK

Video:

Enjoy!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks!

Heh... yes it's easier to just leave the old cable and reuse. The best way to get this type of insulation displacement connector off is to grab the body of it with pliers (wider jawed rather than needle nose if there's clearance) in the middle.

Thanks!

Heh... yes it's easier to just leave the old cable and reuse. The best way to get this type of insulation displacement connector off is to grab the body of it with pliers (wider jawed rather than needle nose if there's clearance) in the middle.
Haha, yeah. I was like oooo new cable, may as well replace it! Connector pops off.. Ok... old connector going back in :D I was just grabbing it in the center with my finger and thumb when the wires separated from the connector, lol.

When dealing with anything airbag, I follow advice from my ex-neighbor who used to work at a Ford dealership. Unhook the positive, and then step on the brake pedal to use up any voltage so everything is dead…

When dealing with anything airbag, I follow advice from my ex-neighbor who used to work at a Ford dealership. Unhook the positive, and then step on the brake pedal to use up any voltage so everything is dead…
Better safe than sorry for sure :D That's why I was pretty careful with it and left it plugged in to hopefully not upset it, lol.

Back