how will my 2wd truck do in the snow? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how will my 2wd truck do in the snow?

ranger814

Reaction score
City, State
woodland, pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xl
i just got my first ranger. it is a 98 2.5L 5 speed single cab. i was just wondering how these trucks do in the snow? i do live a little off the main streets of town nothing to rough but i just want to get an idea if it is going to be hard to drive it in the winter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not going to be that great...you may want to look into a locker for the rear or buy a limited slip rear from a junkyard to help with traction and put weight in the bed but don't put small things that could fly if you slam on the breaks. Also air down your tires for bad snow.

It's not going to be that great...you may want to look into a locker for the rear or buy a limited slip rear from a junkyard to help with traction and put weight in the bed but don't put small things that could fly if you slam on the breaks. Also air down your tires for bad snow.

ok, so i was thinking studded winter tires with two 80 pound sand bags over each wheel well. has anyone ever had any luck with 2wd in the snow?

also what exactly is a locker and how do i instal it? sorry for the newbe questions this is my first truck. i am only used to front wheel drive

Yes, two wheel drive in the snow is very posible...... if you have chains for your truck!!!!
Get a good set of chains (not cables-trust me) and learn the proper way to chain up and you will be amazed at how well your truck will do. Also its nice to have at least one spare chain in case you lose a chain while driving.

You can have luck with a 2wd my dad when I was younger has an 88 2wd 4banger ranger and we live out in the country and he got around but wasn't always easy to get out of the driveway. And your ideas don't sound bad for traction wise especially if you're in the city. A locker connects both axle shafts to travel at one speed continuously whether one side loses traction or not. An Limited slip works by driving like normal but when a wheel slips clutches engages and transfers power to the other wheel.

I have 4WD on mine, and while it does fine on the flats and going up hills, even two sandbags makes it an adventure to stop going down a hill. I would definitely pack chains.

I have 4WD on mine, and while it does fine on the flats and going up hills, even two sandbags makes it an adventure to stop going down a hill. I would definitely pack chains.

thanks alot guys, keep the info coming. now when you say chains you mean just good old tire chains? i noticed a huge difference on my 4 wheeler when i put them on that, you are saying it will do the same for my ranger?

what is the ride like with chains on? the reason i ask is because i live off the beaten path but i do travel a small highway for about 5 miles to get to work. how do the chains hold up at lets say 40 miles/hour?

ok, so i was thinking studded winter tires with two 80 pound sand bags over each wheel well. has anyone ever had any luck with 2wd in the snow?

That will work well.

your truck will basically handle the same as a pickup truck, so tricks for pickups should work the same for you :p

Back