How would you custom order a Dana44? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How would you custom order a Dana44?

...This would be for a Ranger or First gen Explorer and the idea behind it is to basically have a kit ready axle for our RBV's..

...As some of you know I spend a lot of time wheeling with race teams and the top manufacturers in the offroad industry...

These guys build Trophy Trucks, Rock Crawlers, and the baddest offroad vehicles in the World...

Anyways...I was in one of these shops the other day and I asked "Why don't you make a kit Dana44 say about the size of an Early Bronco to match the size of an 8.8 with disc for our Rangers and Explorers?"

...After asking this question several times over in past few years and getting replies like "nobody wants those, and there is no market for that Ford Ranger anymore"..

..My jaw about hit the floor with this response.."Sure...How do you want it built? We are currently finishing up a secret project for a magazine and have it all in house"

Where's that lightbulb smilie?

Here's a chance to design a simple Dana44 axle as a kit for us...

This ain't no bolt on thing but it is a source and starting point so I was thinking about doing this to my Ranger (over time of course...)

If you wanted to design a basic D44 kit axle for everyone, what all parts would you want available to be ordered and shipped?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It would be nice if they could come up with something with the same bolt pattern as stock but then you are talking dana 30 outers on a 44 like the rubicons and no hubs. I think the idea of eb width and hp is smart, however, the c wedges/ bushings should be mounted 3/4" wider per side than stock eb to match our frame width. The lower trac bar mount should be double sheer and adjustable. Basically, this axle would be a bolt on swap with the use of the duff parts.

I am building a 1976 fw 44 for my ranger. I got the bare housing for $50 and I thought I was doing good, but after all the pieces and parts: new and used I am probably pushing the $700 range. That's setting everything up and installing it all myself. It deceiving because you don't realize all the little pieces add up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Trust me...There will be no problem getting our bolt pattern or a different bolt pattern when ordering..I got that covered..:biggthump

...and I feel your pain...If i got lucky and could find a craigs List axle for $300-$400 I'm figuring about 1000 by the time I redid the axle...I have been looking for about 5 years and if I found one I didn't have the money.

..The other issue I had is it would have to be stored somewhere till I could gather all the parts and work on it non stop till it was ready. Heck, that would cost me a week of work but the sad thing is, it would have to sit again till I had the time and money to proceed again..:(

..My thoughts are $1000 ordered axle geared and with disc would be awesome and what I am aiming for for the Rangers...a $1500 ordered axle is probably more realistic and a $2000 axle would kill the idea of a doing a SAS this way.

..Figuring this, an adjustable panhard with weld on reinforced mount, links or ?, and also adding a basic tall pair of Coilover hoops to compliment this axle is the basic idea of this thread.

..Next would be working on the shock companies to see what we could work out..A couple companies I talk to often are ADS, Fox, and King but getting the basic axle worked out is first..:hammer:

I think you are going about it backwards Ted. How about a SAS kit that swaps in a Jeep dana 30/44 out of a TJ. Once you have that kit any bolt in 44/60/609 for a TJ will bolt into the existing brackets. You can start with a $100 axle and reuse your existing wheels. If the 30 is enough for what you want out of the truck you have a cheap SAS. If you want to upgrade later you are a weekend axle swap from bolting in a stronger axle. Want a custom width axle call up Currie/Dynatrac etc and tell them you want a bolt it tj axle at whatever width you want.

I would be interested in working on this...

..Backwards?..Me, Backwards?...:D

..Although I have seen a lot of Dana 30's do what I'm wanting to do, I want a Dana44..I'm not a fan of the Dana 60's or larger for my little truck so those are out...

..I like your idea too and I am not opposed to also starting and doing another build like you are suggesting as a current budget build for the Forum..I think the Rangers have kind of hit a wall if you don't have some way to fab in your own garage/shop and aftermarket is dead. I want to get a Ford Ranger package going even if it is from a company known to be the best in the industry for Jeeps...:p:

...I'm not much for using a phone when it's decision making time but I will be discussing this at a friends shop soon..:hammer:

Stickers.jpg

I think Matt is correct.

I have decided against coil overs because I want simplicity and reliability of coils and shocks. I also don't want to mess with hoops and an engine hoop. But as far as duff has come, if you want to run eb 44 stuff, you can go that route and buy that 1500 axle you mentioned. There isn't much for a kit for jeep stuff. It would be pretty easy to do.

For bolt patterns, it isn't possible to do 5 on 4.5 and dana 44 style lockouts. There isn't enough meat in wheel after the hub. You would have to do dana 35/28 hubs which are pretty weak.

A guy in Colorado Springs bought a plasma table and started making kits to bolt in a jeep solid axle in a liberty. Basically a subframe with all the link mounts. I don't think he ever did very good with it. It seems like there would be a better market for them than us???

..We'll make something work but yea, it will be important to see a set up for those who want to keep their 5 x 4.5 wheels..

Back