• Register Today It's free!

Howdy, New to the forum

SPR-GRN

Reaction score
City, State
Originally Massachusetts, then Vermont, now sadly, NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4.6L w/slush-box
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, I've had my explorer since July 2009, My parents gave it to my as a Graduation present from College, it was my moms old car, and shes had it since new. Don't hate me for some of the things I'm about to say.

At that point the truck was a 2002 Explorer XLT 4.6L V8 w/slush-box transmission, and about 85k on it.

I am not an SUV person, I actually really dislike this truck, but at the time I had just graduated college and didn't have a job so I couldn't afford to buy something (not to mention there really wasn't and still isn't anything out there I want to buy). I imidiately got on the web and tried to find ways to make this thing better (BWM for starters... that crappy auto 4WD system pisses me right off).

Before I could do the BWM however I put about 6k city/highway miles on it from July 2009 to April 2010, and the wheel bearings went, which caused some other damage to the rear of the truck. After dealing with legal issues and arguing with the extended warranty company (while my mom owned it the transmission was replaced at 65k, the rear end was replaced at 80k under warranty) The choice was wait it out and fight it legally, or spend $2,000 to have the work done, and since I worked in Manhattan and only used the vehicle to get up to Massachusetts I opted to buy myself a motorcycle for $2000 and wait it out.

After dealing with a Lawyer, and not having the truck from April to September, I ended having to pay the $100 deductable and $150 in lawyers fees, and I had to buy a new Battery. I now have the truck back, and as far as I can tell, everything is hunky-dory again, almost.

O.K. long and winded I know, but here comes Chapter 2.

I am stuck with this vehicle for the time being; I toyed with the Idea of getting a 97-02 F-150 with 4.6L and 5spd, but I Don't want to get a full size truck again. I've owned F-150's in the past, and its more truck than I want.
I then toyed with the idea of getting an 2004+ FX4 Ranger, but alas, I hate V6's, especially in a truck, and especially such an antiquated V6 as is in the Ranger. I then Thought briefly about an 2005+ Frontier or Tacoma, but we fall on the crap-tastic antiquated V6 problem again, and finding one with a factory supercharger is next to impossible, unless I buy one brand new, and I'm not willing to spend $40k+ on a truck that doesnt have what I want. Thought about a G37 sedan, but its somehow as bad on gas as my SUV, and of course V6. Can't afford a Caddilac CTS-V, can't find a G8 GXP that doesn't have a bloated price tag, can't think about affording a BMW M3 sedan, nor do I want to buy one anyways. 2011 Mustang is affordable, but I want something with 4 doors.

So here I sit, I have to drive this thing in the winter and heavier rains until a manufacturer builds a truck or car I want and can afford (won't happen), or I find a 1965 Falcon 4dr Wagon w/V8 & 4spd to play with.

So in order to try and make myself like this vehicle a little better, I'm going to do some stuff to it.

1.) The rear coils have snapped, this is apparently common for this model year; does anybody know of some stock height springs that are more durable and possibly stiffer? I don't want to lower or raise the vehicle, I don't want spongy long travel suspension for off-roading; I just want something stock height that is stiffer and thicker and will hold up to the easy life this vehicle has. This one is kinda important
2.) Has anyone actually done a 5spd swap on one of these from an F-150? at least then I'd be able to solve one problem (I hate slush-boxes). I tried to search but didn't come up with much except a passing mention, or reference to a V6 ranger swap, which is unhelpful. If anyone can direct me to a swap walkthrough on an 02-05 4wd V8 explorer I'd appreciate it.
3.) if someone out there has a 4.6L EFI 5spd 4x4 ranger they want to trade for my explorer let me know

To all of you who really love your explorer, I'm sure it does what you want, and I'm sure its great for you; my situation is different and I'm trying to make the best of it. I'm not bashing Explorers, as SUV's go, I guess they are great, I'm just not an SUV person; I don't have any children so the third row seating is pretty useless, I currently live in Brooklyn NY so there isn't much tricky terrain thrown at it, I hate automatic transmissions, I hate V6 engines (only models that came with 5spds), I hate automatic 4wd (BWM to happen soon); I just can't win in our modernized world.

Just for information, if I were able to have any vehicle built for me by Ford here are a few I would want:
1.) Current Ranger body (cab and a half, 6ft box) DOHC 5.0L, 6-spd manual, 4x4.
2.) Current Fusion body, but with the DOHC 5.0L, 6-spd manual and of course RWD (hmmm Australian Falcon maybe?)
3.) 2012 Focus Body (4dr hatch), but with a monster Turbo, 6-spd manual, and of course RWD; if they could shoe-horn the DOHC 5.0L in there I'd take that instead, but it may be too difficult.

Of course none of those vehicles will ever be built, or in the case of the Falcon see America, but I can dream can't I?

Back