how's this welder? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how's this welder?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, but what about the price difference???

Blaine122300 said:
Yeah, but what about the price difference???
I paid ~$400 for mine.

The biggest thing I see with that one is the 15% duty cycle. That means that for every 1.5 mins your welding, you're going to be waiting for the welder to cool down for 8.5 mins (assuming a cyle of 10 mins). My welder is 20%, and most 220v welders are better than that.

Yeah, I would give it a pass, the chicago electric is harborfreights budget label i.e 7/9" polishers for 40 bucks etc. I don't know who is making them for harborfreight if you want a welder that you will have for the rest of your life get a name brand Miller, Lincoln. 220 is always better than 110. And the heavier the unit in relation to its size is also good. Look around at farm supply stores or stores of that type they always seem to have decent prices. My dad purchased a small lincoln ac/dc arc welder 220v that was 17 years ago used all the time and no problems.

Deak

dont you need a certain gas to weld? (cant remember the name right now)

brandonloserkid said:

Isn't it argon?

brandonloserkid said:
if you want to MIG weld, yes. An Argon/CO2 mix is usually used. You can use a flux core wire with a wirefeed welder and not use gas.

Lincoln is the standard for welders.
They have a reputation and a heritage that can not be beat.

Jefe said:
if you want to MIG weld, yes. An Argon/CO2 mix is usually used. You can use a flux core wire with a wirefeed welder and not use gas.

does that change the weld (like say.. will the weld be stronger/weaker or something)

brandonloserkid said:
does that change the weld (like say.. will the weld be stronger/weaker or something)
MIG requires no cleaning of the weld, whereas wirefeed or Arc welding will leave a flux residue. Other than that, if done correctly there should be no difference.

can you explain the difference between MIG and TIG (and any other) welding? i'd like to learn to weld to do some fabricating. and also to do some body work

brandonloserkid said:
can you explain the difference between MIG and TIG (and any other) welding? i'd like to learn to weld to do some fabricating. and also to do some body work
MIG is basically a wire feed welder with shielding gas. Good clean welds, and the more amps you have, the deeper welds you can make, and of course use thicker material.
Wire feed is same as above, but you don't use shielding gas. You use a wire with a flux core so you don't need the gas. Good welds, but not as good as MIG. A lot of welders come with conversion kits so you can use flux core wire or MIG wire and use the gas.
TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas, I think) I have not really researched, but not to many people use this method. I've heard it takes a long time to pick up how to do this method properly.
Arc welders is basically what it sounds like. You make an arc with an electrode. You connect your ground and the other end (Electorode end) goes just above the material to mak an "Arc". The electrode basically melts off and fills the gap you made with the arc and, well, welds!
If you want to do any type of suspension work or frame work, you want the most amps you can get. 90 amps or better usually works. the more amps you can get, the easier it will be to get your thick material to weld. I would recommend a 220 v AC welder. 115's usually don't put out enough juice to do any frame/suspension work.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Jefe said:
I paid ~$400 for mine.
Where did you get yours??
I went to harbor freight today and saw a 200 amp welder there for 400, and it caught my fancy. If I can get a Lincoln for that price, that would be cool.
Here it is http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3664
Do you think it could handle flux core wire, even though it doesn't say anything about it. I thought all mig welders could handle flux core.

Andy

what would be the best for doing what i would need it for (body work, roll cage fabrication, and other various metal fab.) and how much would it cost to get everything i need?

I have tried TIG on aluminum.
Very, very difficult. Ya need good cordonation since you have to feed the metal with one hand and hold the welder with the other.
Oh, you are correct Blaine Toungston Inert Gas
The thing with TIG is, when it looks it looks GREAT.
Go to a bicycle shop and look at all those high end bicycles, 90% of them are TIG

MIG is a great all around easy, clean strong afordable weld.

So using Flux to weld spring perches will be fine on doing an SOA as long as its a good weld?

GooseR said:
So using Flux to weld spring perches will be fine on doing an SOA as long as its a good weld?
Yeah, as long as your welds penitrate deep enough into the steel (High Amps!)
If you do around 100 amps, that should work

get a Miller.......Or a Hobart.....Harbor Freight is a good place for some things but not a welder. They do carry Hobart but Northern Tool usually has them cheaper.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back